Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

01 chevy cavalier

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by jasonkh2tg, Nov 25, 2003.

1. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

the service engine light came on my wifes car I assume it's got something to do with the oil change intervals..On my 03 3500 4x4 dually I press the pedal to the floor 3 times after oil change.but that's not working on the cavalier..Just thought I would get some insight before I run it in for warnety....

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if its under warranty just take it in, i dont believe an 01 cavy has the oil change reminder built in as part of the CEL, although i may be wrong..

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the service engine light came on my wifes car I assume it's got something to do with the oil change intervals..On my 03 3500 4x4 dually I press the pedal to the floor 3 times after oil change.but that's not working on the cavalier..Just thought I would get some insight before I run it in for warnety....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifWhat that tells me is that the SES light is on for a different reason than needing an oil change. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Do this; check the owner's manual for the proper procedure in resetting the light when it comes on for needing an oil change. Do that procedure. If that doesn't make the light go away, get it into the dealer to get it fixed before something major goes.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try disconecting the positive battery cable for 1/2 a hour, reconect it and see if that clears it out. I would belive it should. If light still stays on, take it in.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

obd2 vehicles will not reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery, if the vehicle still runs fine, check the gas cap, and if thats tight, take it in..

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

even better take off the gas cap and put it back on, light should go out within 5 miles.