Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

01 silverado dies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigchiefmudder, Sep 10, 2005.

1. bigchiefmudder

bigchiefmudder Registered Member

i've had a problem with my 01 silverado, its got an 8.1/allison combo. Great running truck but recently its been dying at random times. Today it died twice while driving and bith times were during corners. It makes no sense no check engine light or anything, sometimes it wall stall and then refire. i did a search a while back and found something about a coolant temp sensor but that doesn't sound the same. I'd let it sit untill i can get to it but its a must have in the fleet. i'll check the grounds and whatever else i can think of . wondering if anybody has had any thing similar, maybe save me from having to take it to the stealership or elsewhere since i've had the 81 apart but afraid to do more than change fluids/filters on this one thanks matt

2. gauder

gauder Banned

Same sort of thing happened to my 97. Was clogged fuel filter.

3. bigchiefmudder

thats a thought i replaced that like 4-5 months ago hmm

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Might be a fuel pick-up problem as well. My 97 started with that crap shortly before the fuel pump went.

5. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

8.1 crank sensor

The 8.1 has a problem with crank sensors. There is an updated crank sensor for these trucks. Symptoms include a p0335,p0336, but these codes don't always illuminate the mil light. Sometimes the only sympton is a stall or cut out problem. Hope this helps and let me know if you need more info.
    Daniel

6. bigchiefmudder

i remember hearing that somewhere also(prolly here) got part #'s for the "updated one" so i don't buy a older one my buddy has a reader we will look for those codes

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

we've also had problems with the fuel level sensors not reading properly...if the tank is down around 1/4 tank, could be uncovering the pickup on turns and stalling.

ryan

8. oldtoyboyd

I don't have the part number but it has been revised since 2002 I believe. I looked on a technician network I am a member of and can't find the number on there either.

9. oldtoyboyd

Fuel sensor

What I have seen with the fuel level sensor is that if it doesn't work correctly it will bounce around when sitting still or when you fill it up. If this happens you know you have a level sensor problem.

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

while that is true...ive seen them be off as much as half a tank. gm is in process of recalling 00-01 yukons and suburbans for problems with the fuel pump/ sender. should be a similar unit in your hd.

ryan

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

there, i have been trying to help my neighbor fix the same problem we searched and found this on edmunds, he fixed his on friday, the sensor was about 100 bucks, also this gives a nice tip for the install/removal of the sensor,

heres the info from the site,

"Interesting info Chev 8.1, if your's is already acting up I advise you to change it asap. My truck is a 2001 8.1 also and it just turned 55K, I've had it for about 3 months. About two weeks ago I went up the road for lunch then on the way back, probably at about the temp you listed, it cut off and wouldn't restart. After about five minutes I got it going again and made it back to the shop. No CEL but I put a scan tool on it and found one failure record for the crank sensor, which made sence. So I ordered one and put it in that afternoon. It was rather tedious due to the location behind the D/S head, and the warm but not hot motor temp. It took about an hour with the lift and shop full of tools. Doing it againg would take about 30 minutes. The new one was a different design but the old one came out in one piece. After using a Gearwrench to remove the 10MM retaining bolt use a long flat ended bar to tap it up and out of it's hole as it doesn't want to come out by hand. Perferibly the pry bar will have a bend at one end to get a grip on the sensor lip sence it's at the top of the bell housing.

To make this long story shorter this has been my faivorite mod. Let me 'splain, the truck picked up big power and mileage from the new crank sensor. It's like the ignition timing took a big bump. The parameter for the crank sensor to set a failure record is to drop it's signal for MORE than three seconds above like 1000 RPM. So evidently mine was dropping a signal continuously but for less than three seconds at a time so I had no idea what I was missing. If yours is acting up I would expect you would be very pleased with a new one, not to mention that one of these times you might be stuck where ever it decides enough it enough.

With the bad sensor I had no other obvious symptoms."