Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

02 sensor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Mar 30, 2007.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, so is a wide band 02 sensor different than a heated 02 sensor and if so how do you go about hooking up a wide band 02 sensor?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes. Wideband sensor is a more sensitive O2 sensor. Say your present sensor reads in oh 1/8 incrememnts. A wideband reads in 1/36 incrememnts. It is more accurate and can tell you more about whats going on. Need some type of gauge or box to read the sensor. Don't know more than what they are myself.

3. 4X4HIGH

Could i install a wide band 02 sensor and read the info from a laptop? I bought the winaldl cable and have the software loaded so i can datalog. Does the 02 sensor have a way of connecting to a laptop somehow?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty sure you need to "patch" the older code to actually use a wideband O2 sensor. I could be wrong, but I recall reading about this on thirdgen. Never got too far into it, cost was somewhat prohibitive for me.

Wideband O2 applicable difference is that it can measure accurately other than 14.7:1 AFR. Look at a voltage graph of a NBO2, and you will see that the voltage (we are talking 0-1V) is almost vertical...either side of stoich and you are essentially guessing AFR with a NBO2. With a wideband, 12:1, 13:1, etc., will all have a corresponding consistent voltage.

NBO2 is good to see that the system is going between rich/lean, and that you aren't staying on one side or the other when you shouldn't be, but that's it.

5. chevyuser74

chevyuser74 1/2 ton status

4x4 did u ever get the wideband? if so whats involved/how do u hook it up.

6. 4X4HIGH

nope, no wideband 02 sensor yet. I just bought the hardware to burn my own chips now i'm going to buy an emulator and eventually the wideband 02.

7. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You'll need a special wideband controller. The stock ECU cannot read a wideband.

A "normal" O2 sensor basically switches between rich and lean. The ECU estimates the A/F ratio based on how much time the sensor spends at "rich" and at "lean". It cannot accurately measure the A/F ratio if you get to far from 14.7:1, It just knows you are rich or lean, but not how much.

A wideband outputs a voltage directly proportional to the A/F ratio over a much wider band of A/F ratios (that's where the name comes from :D) - this allows much better accuracy as well as the ability to measure exactly how rich or lean you are running. With a wideband (and compatible ECU) you theoretically never have to run open loop. For example you can run O2 feedback at a constant 12.5:1 A/F ratio at WOT. A "normal" O2 sensor cannot provide that kind of feedback control away from stoichiomentric (14.7:1).

Both types of O2 sensor may be heated (or not). Clear as mud, no?

8. 4X4HIGH

I'm going to pick up the dual FAST wideband data logger for tuning purposes. I just found a company that sells it for $374.99

9. GNERGY

GNERGY 1/2 ton status

10. 4X4HIGH

That is basically the same thing except that the FAST data logger is a portable hand held unit and can be had in either a single or dual sensor. I have already installed an 02 bung in each pipe so i can use the dual unit. There is also an RPM module that can be purchased and tied into the data logger as well.

I'm really just getting into this tuning stuff but i find it pretty fun to be able to do this stuff with the old school OBD1 stuff.

Here is the FAST data logger and the place that i've found it the cheapest so far. http://speed-eng.com/store/fast-wideband-data-logger-two-sensors-p-8398.html

11. chevyuser74

chevyuser74 1/2 ton status

do these controllers convert it to so your ecm still gets a signal?

12. 4X4HIGH

The FAST data logger does but in my case it doesn't matter anyways since i added 2 extra 02 bungs just for the data logger and will keep my factory sensor in place.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know price has come way down, is moates.net pretty comparable? I know eventually my dad and I will need it to tune our setups.

Really need to have bungs in both banks on my setup, but I'm thinking eventually I'll go to single 3", and it would be a waste.

Really need to get into the datalogging now...