Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

02 sensor

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 4X4HIGH, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Can you run an 02 sensor in each manifold and have them hooked up to the same single wire? I figure if it is possible this could be a little extra help if one cylinder or a bank of cylinders was running lean or rich then at least the 02 sensor could see it no matter which bank it is on. Does this make sense to anyone?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't've thought that would work. How would you know which is which even if it did work. They work on very low voltage, I'd imagine splicing two together would halve the reading? Surely you'd be better off fitting a WBo2 to one manifold and the stock one to another if you want to read both. I have WB and NB in the same manifold though. Plug colours are all pretty even so I guess it's burning even on both banks.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

computer would just get confused. Think of it, if you wire two power sources to one circuit, do they supply the same power or now double?

All your readings would be double what they should be, and never read properly on either.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You would have to have a ECM programed to read both sensors and a seperate port for each sensor. I think Throwing the data from both sensors down a single wire to the ecm may triggger limp home mode because running the siginal voltage thru 2 seperate sensors would increase resistance and screw up the readings that the ECM would expect to see. I think you are asking too much of a TBI ecm to read 2 02 sensors.

MPFI use a 02 sensor on each bank but the ECMs for MPFI are far more powerful than TBI. The Older ford EEC IV (Mustang 5.0 HO) uses 2 02s but it is a better, faster, computer than GM TBI also.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, it was only a thought. While i'm thinking though, couldn't i install an 02 on the passenger side and still have them both connect to the same wire but use a toggle switch so i could choose which pipe i'm reading? I'm only running a single exhaust but if the sensor were after the Y pipe then it wouldn't matter. I suppose i could change the location of the 02 sensor to just after the Y pipe assuming i install a heated 02 sensor.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have often wondered about doing that on an old Chevy. Just cannot decide what the PCM would make of that. I kind of think it would continually rear rich because its seeing twice of whatever it expects to.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

simple answer is you have a duel plane manifold and the frt and rear are on 1 plane then the middle 2are on the other plane. so the stock sensor already reads both halfs of the motor.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You really don't want to mess with the O2 sensor wire if you don't have to.

It's not simple copper wire, although I don't know that anyone has actually tested to see what kind of issues crop up if you try to solder it, or use a different connection type. Except that it doesn't take solder well.

You could do a bung in each exhaust pipe and swap sides if you thought you needed to. Unless you are running port injection though, I don't see the point. A bad TBI injector as mentioned will be seen on either bank, while any of the port injected engines COULD benefit from dual if there was a problem only on one bank, (bad injector) and you were running true duals.