Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

041 casting SBC heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 20, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a pair of heads that have 041 as the last 3 numbers in the casting number. They are a semi-closed chamber head with 1.94 valves. I believe them to be originally off a 327 from the mid '60's.

I have access to put a solid lifter cam in a .030 over 327 I have. I have some other things collected for this motor including 11:1 pistons, an Erson gear drive and roller rockers. I'd like to use these 041 heads.

I take it, I probably should have screw in studs installed? What about hardened seats?

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

041s are '68 - '70 350 heads. They have 64cc chambers, and are the heads that were used on the 300hp 350s of that era. They are a good head, and a good heavy casting. If you are building a motor that you want to last for a long time, you should go for the hardened seats. As usual, a set of Vortecs will outperform those heads, so weigh how much money you will have to put into reconditioning those heads against that swap.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I also have a pair of the camel hump heads, not the full closed chamber, but semi closed and with the accessory holes. They are just the bare casting, no valves or anything. I wonder if I should just have them gone through the way I want them instead of tearing the 041's apart.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Those would probably be pretty similar to the 041s, both are likely 64cc.

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

They would basically be the same as the 041's. The double humps you are talking about are probably 186's or 187's. They are all good heads. I would use the 041's since they are complete.