Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

.045 gap plugs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SS66, Jul 9, 2006.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Im looking in my Haynes manual for the correct spark plug for my 88 350 Carb'd. It claims a R44t With a .045 gap is what I need.

Everywhere I look I see .035, will these work any better or worse? Or is .045 exactly what is needed.

Also, should I buy decent plugs or generally will the cheap ones work just as good. Im not expecting noticeable power differences but I guess you never know. Im running rich right now ( smell lots of gas ) Its probably the carb but Im sure it could use new plugs anyway.

Thanks

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

AC's all the way... Doubt you'd find a "cheaper" plug anyway... .035 is what most sb's take, but if it calls for a .045, run it.. It will only help burning off any extra fuel....

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Under the hood of your truck there should be an emissions label that says exactly what the gap should be. Don't rely on what the Haynes manual says. Then get the plugs for your truck. You can also change the gap on just about any spark plug if need be.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, you need to check the gap of whatever you buy, even if they are supposed to come pre-gapped.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Carb'd HEI runs .045.

6. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

What he said

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Not all ,,,:whistle:

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Well yeah, that goes for anything on this site.:D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good advice??

That would be good advice for a truck with its original engine--but if you followed the emission label on my 79 C10,you'd be reading the one from the 250 six I yanked out of it last year....:doah:
    (I gotta scrape it off one of theese days.)..:D

Might be best to look up the engine code, and find out what it really came from,just in case..I put gasketed plugs in a '69 350 equipped pickup once--and the motor was NOT a 69!!--it was a later 350 that took peanut plugs!--it burnt the gaskets AND the electrodes off the plugs in one 70 mile hiway ride!..:eek1: ...

In my experience,I never could tell any difference between .035 and .045 gapped plugs either..if you went .080 on the gap,then it makes a slight difference..mostly makes it miss easier under a load,unless you have some super-duper ignition like an MSD box and coil...:crazy: