Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 0r 2 Steering stabilizers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Mar 18, 2002.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Should I go with 1 or 2 steering stabilizers. The one that is on is due for a change. (10+yrs) And what company to use?
    Thanks for the help. It's just to scarry to feel the wheels and the steering wheel not react together. The same.

I know the loss in ground clearence will be a factor. Thanks for the suggestions./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I would try to get a dual with the side by side configuration. Trail Master is where I got my last from... I bought the coilover version from http://rockymountainsusp.com/ . They were cheap, and drop-shipped right to my door.

3. DuneRunner

Thanks for that tip. I'll have to realy do my home work at home Cuz at work its sketchy... Thanks a bunch.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run one stabilizer. I have been told that if you need more then one stabilizer then you are just masking the real problems in the steering. Personally steering is one of the things that shouldn't be masked, if there is a problem then it need to be fixed. Poor steering is not something to take lightly.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You only need one. I don't run one at all, and have no problems

6. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

Hey Ken...

you really only need one man...anything more is just really overkill. Just like running dual shocks on anything but a Baja racer....just overkill...or maybe you like a really FIRM ride.

As far as brand would go....stick to any of the main brands (Rancho, skyjacker, roughcountry, etc) and you'll be ok.

Lates

Barbastard

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I think he was looking for steering stabilizers though... not shocks. Why would a steering stabilizer make the ride "FIRM"? I have only one, but I would have liked 2. One is fine for street use, but 2 would be better for the trails that I encounter...

Just my .02

8. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

Maybe I was unclear on how I worded my post.....I understand COMPLETELY what he was looking for...I was just relating the common trend/similarity for people to go "overkill" on their truck by putting on 2 steering stabilizers AND/OR putting dual shocks on their truck. I am fully aware that adding a steering stabilizer wouldn't effect the vehicles ride. However dual shocks would.

As far as adding 2 stabilizers goes...it is completely uncecessary and IMHO a waste of $$$$$. The added stabilizer really doesn't assist you in any way....other than lightening your wallet!!!

9. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

It is overkill. I called my trusted 4x4 shop a while back when I was in the market for a new one. I asked one or two and he simply responded you only need one unless you got 44's. The seconod one is just for show. Will make no difference and isn't worth the extra money.

10. DuneRunner

Thanks Guys for all of the responses. I do understand that 2 would be overkill and it does make sence that it would hide something that should be fixed. I have a replacement OEM Monroe stabilizer that was put in prob. in '89. SO it is way overdue.

I'm lucky that its not a daily driver. SO it can wait for a while. Thanks again guys.
    Off the subject I'm working on the NEW PROJECT 1/2 doors. SO stay on the edge of your seats in anticipation for the beautys.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

How about none. Pull it off and see if you notice any difference. I am not running one now since the seal blew a couple weeks ago and I don't notice any difference now without it then with it.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

main brands like Gabriel or Monroe or the tiny niche reboxers you listed?

13. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

how does that coilover vesion work out off road