Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1-1/2 10 spline CH465 input shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tarussell, Dec 30, 2002.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am looking for some resources for tranny hard parts.
    I am wanting to upgrade to the optional medium duty version of the CH465 that has the 1-1/2 10 spline input shaft. I am coming up empty at all the bone yards , so I guess I will buy new but I want to get every resource that I can before I buy.
    TIA , Tom

I looked at the link's page for suppliers but I just want see if anyone else has a medium duty resource.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the medium duty's use a CH/SM465? I drove an '86 C60 (366, 10-lug wheels, 4-wheel disc, tilt fiberglass nose, etc) and it was a Clark - 4 or 5 speed I don't remember.

Maybe a little off topic... I think the Dodge NV4500 from behind a Cummins has that large input shaft dimension.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The ones that I am talking about came in some early to mid 1970's 2-1/2 ton trucks. They are definetely CH465's, and the input gear tooth cut is the same and it uses the same front bearing O.D. . One of the off-road magazines did an small article on this upgrade a few months ago and verified the bigger shaft option.I don't think that GM used this version very long since it is so scarce.

The Dodge versions of the 4500 do offer a 1-3/8" input shaft and I have heard of an 1-1/2" version but I have never seen one????

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I hadn't heard of a large input on the 465... good to know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You're right.. the Dodge NV4500 is 1-3/8" - I remembered wrong /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The Dodge version comes with a 1-1/4" shaft . I don't know if the 1-3/8" shaft is an offering from New Venture or the aftermarket???

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you tried Clutch Products?
    Or you might try one of the guys at Stephen's B-Line, they work on the larger trucks and may have some info for you.

If you can't find the CH or just need a SM465/NP205 combo, should something happen to yours. I have the combo collecting weeds and I am in Pensacola. I'll be at the run on Saturday, brown & tan K5 on 33's.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have not tried Clutch Products yet , I was just trying to look at all of my options first. I hate it when Ya' search and think you got the best deal and than after you get it you find a huge wholesaler that has what you wanted at 40% cheaper---Anyway that's why I am asking for vendors.

The CH465 and SM465 are actually one and the same, I had always seen it referenced in the Mitchell shop manuals as the CH465.
    Thanks for the option on your 465/205 set up but I have been collecting spare parts for a while now and got plenty of extra's.
    I will be using my existing 1983 465 tranny and replacing the input shaft / front bearing (larger I.D.)/and T.O.B. collar support. The 1-1/2" stuff is a direct replacement for the 1-1/8" parts.
    I will see Ya' on the 4th ..... Thanks for the response.