Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 1/4 Ton CUCV Liftkit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hans_de_Wilt, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Hans_de_Wilt

Hans_de_Wilt Registered Member

I own a CUCV ex US-Army K30 Pick-up and I want to buy a 4" suspension lift kit. In my manuals about the CUCV they say it is a 1 1/4 Ton vehicle. I can't find a lift kit for a 1 1/4 Ton. What are the differences between a 3/4 Ton, 1 Ton and a 1 1/4 Ton lift kit. Are the front leafs different?
    Can I lift the rear with the shackle flip kit from Off-Road Design?
    Do I need to lower my T-case when I install a 4" lift-kit?
    Do you guys reccomment a specific lift-kit? I do a little off road.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's a 1 ton. But not sure what they did spring wise to add that extra 1/4 ton. There are a few former government truck enthusiasts here who will know exactly whats different, I'd be willing to bet its all in the springs, more overloads or something.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't use the term "1 1/4 ton" at the parts stores. That confuses the parts man too much. [​IMG] Just stick with the term "1 ton" or "K30" and you will be just fine.

As for the CUCV term of the "1 1/4" ton, I'm not real sure why the Government had to label them like that.
    If you notice, the K5 Blazers for the Government term go by "3/4 ton". Just more confusion, even though the Blazers have 10 bolt axles in front and rear.

It must be a "Government thing", we just wouldn't understand! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The K5 CUCV's (1009's?) have the heavy duty springs. (well, 3 front, 6 rear) and I have a feeling, since that likely increases the load capacity a bit, they were able to squeeze 1/4 ton more in there. Same with the 1 1/4 tons. Army calls them 5/4 tons as well.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Here's the info: the Army lists the payload capacity of the "3/4" M1009 as 1200lb
    "5/4" M1008 as 2900lb
    M1028 as 3600lb
    M1031 as 3950lb
    Of the 5/4 (K30) series, only the M1028 (&amp;A1,2,3) uses a different rear leaf spring. The M1031 is a bare chassis weight usually fitted a Contact (repair) Truck; Ordanance, Engineer, or Armament. How they came up with 3/4 or 5/4 ton? My THEORY is it's a left over from earlier vehicles the CUCV replaced (1/4ton = jeep, M715, M880) even though they don't quite fit.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!