Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 1/4 ton

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by greyskull, Oct 29, 2003.

1. greyskull

greyskull Registered Member

I just found a 1 1/4 ton 4x4 military truck with Dana Axles. my question is what problems will I have putting it all under my 83 K5. Is there a link that refers to doing this. This is a rare find because it is in mint condition 45000 actual miles. thoughts,suggestion, what do you think?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That is basically a K30 with a hybrid 24/12V electrical system and a Detroit Locker in the rear. It has a Dana 60 front (probably open depending on which model) and a Corp 14 FF (not Dana) rear. If it's realy mint, it's probably worth more to military collectors than the cost of the axles. If it’s cheap, I would probably buy it, sell it, and pocket the profits for a set of “free” axles. I built my buggy from a CUCV M1008 (the most common K30 CUCVs) but it was far from mint, or even complete for that matter.

In any case. The D60 front will be pretty much a bolt in swap. But you may need to swap or buy new rubber brake lines depending on what you have. Your driveshaft may even work, but it may need shortening, again, depending on what you have. The rear C14FF will have the shocks and spring mounts in the wrong place for a K5. These will need to be cut off and moved. The e brake cables will also be wrong requiring some swapping and matching of backing plates and cables (diligent search will turn up the specifics). The C14FF axle will have a 1350 yoke which will require either a different yoke, a “conversion” u-joint (part numbers available via. search), or a new drive shaft. Depending on what you now have for a shaft, you may need it shortened anyway, but probably not since the C14FF isn’t much longer in the pinion.

That’s all I can think of…

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The axles are probably out of a CUCV. The rear is a 14B w/4.56 gears and a Detroit Locker and the front is a D60. The D60 is a bolt-in, the 14B will have to have the spring perches relocated and the shock mounts will also have to be relocated. Depending upon you lift you may have to have extended brake lines, and your rear drive shaft may be to long, and the u-joints will have to be changed. Depending upon they year of your K5, the e-brake cable may not work. My '90 was a direct swap. You will also have to have new u-bolts for both axles. I would recommend having the u-bolts custom made and leave enough spare threads to install zero rates or different springs, won't cost much additional, but if you add either in the future, you won't have to have new u-bolts. Also make sure you get the spring plates for both axles.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actaully, you don't want the spring plates for the rear axles. The K30s (including CUCVs) have inverted rear u-bolts with the nuts on the bottom and square u-bolts. He will need to get 3/4 ton plates and u-bolts so the nuts are on top... Also, relocated stock spring can be used if you can get them off without too much damage. Or, a better solution would be to make new ones out of 2" square tube.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Thanks BadDog for correction my error about the 14B spring plates, I learned something new today. I have purchased three sets of these axles and two of the 14b had the 3/4 ton spring plates with them, so I guess "ignorance is bliss." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The springs are 2.5" wide so wouldn't you want to use 2.5" sq tube?