Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1,100 lbs!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by shawnboy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Great idea this forum.
    Well, I Just returned from moose hunting. We were up 200 miles north west of Thunder Bay. That's in Canada, north of Lake Superior.
    Shot was 310 yard heart shot, according to the GPS. The cow was 1,100 lbs live weight estimate. Felt bigger after quartering her and taking her out by canoe. hahaha.
    Firearm of choice was a Remington model 700, 7 mil mag, 175 grain core loc hollow point.
    A good time was had by all.

2. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Nice gun choice (Same model and round I run :wink1: ). Any pics?
    -Kell-

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im not a hunter... but I didn't know hunters used hollowpoint rifle bullets on BIG animals. Cool.

j

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

The reason I prefer this particular round is the controlled expansion and that the bullet stays together when it penetrates. It expands to twice it's original size and maintains over 95% of it's material thus meaning less thru and thru and more bullet bouncing around inside the animal and at over 2200 feet per second and hitting at 2000 foot pounds of energy even you, being a non hunter, can understand the results. These ballistics are based on my 300 yard plus shot. Moose are big and you really want to hit them hard when you have the honour of getting one of these beauties in your crosshairs. There is absolutely nothing fun about tracking a mortally wounded moose thru northern Ontario. lol
    I've taken 4 moose over the years, all in the 1,000 lb plus range using this ammo and have never needed more than 1 shot each time.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a Rem. model 710, as I am hard on guns, they're tools to me. I'm going to shoot a lighter grain (140) for now as my shots won't be quite that long and I'm hunting deer.

Nice harvest!

6. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Be careful with the 710. They are poorly made and feel cheap. My buddy used one this year and the extractor ceased to extract and the action itself was weak in comparison to the 700. The gun just doesn't feel right either. Could be me but the other guys agreed, so...

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Glad you got your Moose.
    I also shoot a Remmington 7mm BDL with a muzzle brake. Love it (see photo of my elk in game photo thread)
    I roll my own and use Nosler 175 gr. partition. Very good bullet for big game.

8. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

My wife got me a Rem. 700BDL custom made switch barrel for our 10th anniversary. It's a long action that came with 2 bolts a barrel wrench setup and 4 barrels(22-250, 270,308, & 300 win mag) It makes it nice for whatever comes up. Too bad the Elk didn't cooperate this year. P.S. Congrats on the Moose!