Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2, 3/4, 1 tons?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Apr 3, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Trucks have been coming in these three designations for years: 1/2 tons, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton. What is the purpose of buying a new truck in any of these 3 specs? Why would you want a 1 ton vs a 1/2 ton truck? I just don't understand why people shell out $60k for a brand new F350 when it seems like there isn't much you can do with an F350 that you couldn;t do with an F150. I understand that the F350 is obviously bigger, stronger, and more powerful but I ecspecially do not see much of a difference between the F250 and F350.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

higher load and towing capacity is the biggest factors. you cant tow a big 5th wheel or travel trailer with a 1/2 ton.
    you can tow a meduim sized load or trailer with a 3/4 ton, but you cant tow/haul the same load a 1 ton could.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Braking systems, hp/and tq, larger beefier frames, higher capacity springs, and the one tons also offer a dual rear wheel option the 150 would never see.

None of the big three offer a Big Block or diesel in the 1/2 tons, or the uber beefy transmissions. The 1/2 tons are glorified cars with box's IMO. You need a pick-up to 'work' and it's either a 3/4 or one ton.

Rene

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Its the rating of the amount of load they can carry safely....

If you pull heavy loads, get a one ton.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you're buying a truck just to have a truck get a 1/2 ton. No shame in it and you can still haul the sheet of plywood or other misc stuff that won't go in a car. If you are buying a truck for serious work then you know if you need a 3/4 or 1 ton.If you're doing construction using a toolbox bed hauling a bunch of stuff a 3/4 ton will server you well. If you are consistantly towing over say 8k lbs, hauling over a ton, or need udal rear wheels (more payload capacity) get a 1 ton.

We use a 3/4 ton 4x4 for general utility around the cemetery , bad traction dumping (it has a wood dump bed) and plowing. We have a 1 ton 4x2 dually with a 10.5' dump bed for hauling dirt, quarry dust, gravel, etc. And we have another 1 ton 4x2 dually with a flatbed, liftgate, and crane for hauling and setting the headstones.

Each truck has it's purpose. Our flatbed isn't a 4x4 because we don't need to pay the extra expense for 4wd because that truck doesn't get used in winter. The 3/4 ton utility truck allowed us to just get a 4x2 dump truck saving some money and with a traction device and chains it will do what I need. And when it doesn't I use the 3/4 ton.

Sure I would love all my trucks to be 1 ton 4x4 dually turbo diesels. But unless you have a lot of disposable income just buy what you need.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If you have a family, you probably want 4 doors. If you have a camper, it likely fits best in an 8' box. That takes you into 1-ton turf right there ;)

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you answered your own question.