Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 & 3/4 ton difference

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotty1, Jan 7, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of getting an 89-914x4 suburban but need to know the difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton rigs. Is it just the suspension or is it in the axles and running gear or both? Also would these years have the 30 spline axles that the Blazers have? Thanks for your help, Scotty

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by scotty1 on 01/07/02 07:02 PM.</FONT></P>

2. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I know for sure the susp is different, along with possibly tranny?
    The axles are heavier, with 8-lug instead of 6 rotor assy.

I think the frame is heavier/taller, too.
    I'm not real sure, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my 1989 gmc suburban has a 14 bolt semi-floater rear end and i'm pretty sure it has a 30 spline front 10 bolt, and it's 8-lug. and the rear springs are bigger than a half ton.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

4. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

A 14sf would be excellent. What type of lift are you using and did you need to trim your fenders to fit the 36"s?

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

My magic decoder book for 91 Subs lists very few differences other than those stated above.. but reading the fine print, it does give a difference in the frame thickness (.177 vs .192 for 3/4 tons).
    Most other things depend on options. Tranny on 3/4 is the 4L80-E vs the 700R4.
    If you have other codes I can probably dig it outta here.
    Can't remember the site where I requested this book, but was a GM phone Nr and had to have the VIN. THen they sent (free!!) the book for your year. (x-rox copy, but still plenty useful!)