Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 and 3/4 d44s, same yet different

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Nov 30, 2000.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

ok, most will agree that youll have to grind the calipers on a 3/4 d44 if you run 15" wheels. but ive been told by more than one person that the 1/2 and 3/4 d44s are identical in strength, etc. does one have larger calipers? why is grinding necessary?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The 3/4 tons have larger rotors, but I believe they may use the aame calipers. but with the larger rotors and backing plates it put the caliper up higher and therefore you need to grind.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

When I did my conversion in mid July on my '85, I had a corp 10 bolt, and replaced it w/ a d44 3/4 & 14ff. I decided to try using my original calipers, because I was being lazy to have to bleed them. I found out they are they same size, & so are the brake pads. I'm still using the 10 bolt set up, seems to work just fine. Hope this helps.

Later, Ed i_4x4

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

4. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I just remembered the other reason for not switching calipers, was the banjo bolts are larger on 3/4 set. Haven't changed my brake hoses yet.

Later, Ed

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yes you can do it and retain stock claipers but there are some differences. towrds the end of the D44 run they did use a D44 with a thinner wall tube on the 1/2 tons. I think the 10 bolts are the same. Thicker if it's a 3/4 ton. The knuckle is the same so yest that hub parts are interchangable. Now my 75 has a half ton D44 but it thick wall. It is much thicker than the tube walls on my 79 10bolt. Another thing to watchout for is till around early 74 the D44 3/4 ton had external hubs. You don't want those. the hubs are hard to find.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/