Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 Cross Country Trip -- Might need some Help -- Utah to Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Hi folks!
    Well, I'm finally moving and I'll be towing a big fat trailer behind my K-5 and I'm a little worried that I may have trouble.

[​IMG]

Here is Mapquest's version of my planned route.
    Map

I will be going pretty slow because of the weight and wind resistance from the trailer. So, I will likely stop in Cheyenne the first night and somewhere between Lincoln NE, and Des Moines, IA on the second night. I'm planning to sleep in the back of the blazer so if anyone knows of a good place I can park and sleep around those areas, let me know.

If you live along the route, and you would'nt mind me calling you if I get in trouble (or if you want to go out for lunch or dinner /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) PM me your phone number or email me at marke@byu.edu.

Anyway, thanks and wish me luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm not near your route, but if that rig has an automatic, do yourself a favor and install the 28,000 Lb. GVWR B&M "Super Cooler" tranny cooler on your rig before you leave. The $50 you spend now could save you a $1,500+ tranny rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Just pulling Parley's Canyon from SLC to Park City will give the tranny a serious workout! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

It's a shame to move a nice rig like that to Wisconsin. It'll look like Swiss cheese after a couple of years of salted winter roads there. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Good luck!!

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I already have a big B+M stacked plate cooler and a tranny temp guage. I even pulled the trailer up through a local canyon to see how hot it would get.

That blazer goes in the garage in WI. I'll be driving a beater commuter car and keep the blazer in good shape. I've already had my experience with rust out there. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

As far as a good place to sleep, most of the larger truckstops (TA, Flying J, Pilot, etc...) are usually a pretty safe place to stay because there are people in and out around the clock. They have a resturant to eat breakfast at, restrooms, and for about $7.00 you can buy a shower ticket if you start to stink /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. I wouldn't stay in a rest area, too many freaks hang out in there, there's a reason truck drivers call rest areas "pickle parks" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. If you have a cb you can listen to the truckers on channel 19 and know a lot about road and trafiic conditions like accidents, stopped traffic at the bottom of the mountain, contruction back-ups, etc..

Good luck on your journey.

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I have a CB -- and it even works most of the time /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hope you have a good, uneventful trip.

If you're looking for place to stay and sleep, I know that you can park and camp overnight in any Wal-mart parking lot.

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a shame to move a nice rig like that to Wisconsin. It'll look like Swiss cheese after a couple of years of salted winter roads there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Unfortunately, this is true. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I made the move from Logan, UT to WI last summer. I was checking your mapquest route and couldn't believe that you are moving to my neck of the woods in Hammond, WI...you must be planning on commuting to minneapolis also.

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yep, I'll be commuting /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. What are the chances of 2 ex-Utah, CK5ers in Hammond? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hey, God's speed and bon voyage! What part of WI are you moving to? I'm looking for someone to wheel with. I have a '72 (topless, of course), and Dad has a '73 and a 'new' '75 (from CA, actually still in CA until next summer). e-m at bishopfamilywi@msn.com.

12. sjeccles

sjeccles Registered Member

There Is a Flying J truckstop right off I-80 In Des Moines Iowa. Might be a good Place to stop for the night.

13. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That first mountain pass you are going to hit on I-80 coming out of Utah, going towards the Wyoming state line, is going to be a killer. The rest of your route will be a piece of cake. There will be some gently rolling hills going across the continental divide in Wyoming, but once you hit Nebraska it will be flat and boring the whole way. Iowa has the biggest truck stop in the world called the I-80 truck stop, but that is about all Iowa has. When you get to Wisconsin, stop into a decent sports bar and grill, and treat yourself to some fried Walleye and French Fries with a cold beer. MMMMmmmm...GOOD!

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but that is about all Iowa has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

We have other stuff....like corn fields....hogs....humidity and plenty of rusty cars!
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Mark, the closest you will get to me is Des Moines....I hope you have a safe and uneventful trip. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I am hoping to leave on Monday, but might not get out until Tuesday.

Thanks all -- I hope things go well too.

Beast, too bad i'm in a hurry, I'd stop by and see you.

16. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

17. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Thanks JMS, pm me your phone number and I'll let you know if I make it that far!

18. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I am an hour east of Des Moines. Right off I-80. Sending my phone number if you need anything. Have a safe trip.

19. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

there is an Bozzlemans/AMBEST truck stop at milemarker 50somthing in nebraska, just up the road from cheyenne WY, I always loved stopping there when I was driving OTR, clean showers/ bathrooms, good food, cute girlies working the counters and plenty of room to park, inexpensive fuel too. oh yeah, if your leaving out of SLC try going up to I84 then cutting east to I80,I drive it everyday its actually 4 miles shorter distance, and no big hillclimbs or descents. Sorry to see a fellow Utahn leaving for the east, Oh well WI is very pretty country! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Well, I made it!!
    Thanks to everyone who offered to help if needed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I only had to fix the trailer twice (stupid factory numbskulls!) Somehow the spring that held the brake adjuster wasn't installed right so I had to pull the hub off and fix that half-way. Then I noticed that one of the brake wires had been pinched and cut so I had to fix that too. Good thing I packed all my tools at the back of the trailer!!

After I weighed the trailer I'm amazed I even made it out of town /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

So now I just need to get acclimated to tornado season and I'm all set /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.