Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 or 3/4 Ton?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cdh, May 4, 2004.

1. cdh

cdh Registered Member

I cannot make a decision. Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 89 K5 with 32X11.50's on stock 15X7 rims and a 2" Tuff Country lift on the way. I know that as soon as the lift goes on, my tires an wheels are going to look a little funny. That being said, I am probably going to buy new wheels and 33X12.50 tires. Since I am going to spend the money on new wheels and tires, why not get 8 lug and 3/4 ton axles and call it good?

It sees reasonable, but the problem I am having is that 3/4 ton axles might be overkill for what I do with my truck. I do take my truck offroad for hunting, camping, etc., but I don't beat the s#%t out of it or do any rockcrawling. As an alternative I was thinking of upgrading my 10 bolts.

What do you think, buy 6 lug wheels and upgrade by 10 bolts, or buy 8 lug wheels and 3/4 ton axles?

Thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If it were me, and I just did this a month ago, I'd swap to 3/4ton just for peace of mind. I pretty much do the same thing, camping, fishing, hunting, light to moderate trail driving, and I just wanted the extra peace of mind /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Youn could go with a 6 lug 14SF in the rear and leave your front alone. This should be plenty strong for 33's with light wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why do you think 2" lift would look funny with your current combo? I say it will look better than it does now with a 2" lift. Heck, some people run 6" with 33's...I did and now I have 10" with 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The question is if you will ever want to go bigger....You may just want 33's for now but one day you might want 38's or something. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If you know for sure that you will never go bigger than a 35" tire with a mild tread or a 33" with an aggressive tread than I would say keep the 1/2 ton axles. They are lighter and 10B's can handle a fair amount of wheeling as long big HP isn't pushing them with aggressive tires.

I say put the 2" on and see how it looks, this will buy you some more time before you buy tires and wheels to decide if a 3/4 ton swap is for you. ALso what is your current gear ratio?

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What gears do you have in your current axles? If you need to regear anyway, 3/4 ton axles are a cheap cost effective way to do so. Plus they give you bigger brakes. I put a 10 bolt/14 semi floater 3/4 ton axle set in my '79 K10 so that I could increase the load capacity and longevity but I'm only running 33" tires and didnt want to kill my ground clearance. Plus that gave me 4.10 gears which was a better choice than the stock 3.73's out of my 1/2 ton axles.

6. cdh

cdh Registered Member

I have 15x7 rims, which are a little narrow for my taste. I was thinking that with the truck lifted the tires are going to look really narrow.

My 10 bolts have 3.73's.

Thanks for your imput.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 15x7 rims, which are a little narrow for my taste. I was thinking that with the truck lifted the tires are going to look really narrow.

My 10 bolts have 3.73's.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I see, you are unhappy about the rims.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I don't blame you...the stockers are pretty plain and narrow.

Well you have the lowest gears you can get for 1/2 axles so they are a decent set to work with. Part of the reason some guys switch to 3/4 is because they have a god awfull ratio like 3.08's stock and it is plain cheaper just to swap in 3/4 stuff with 4.10's or 4.56's. That is part of the reason why I converted, I had 3.08's.

How nice of rims are you wanting? I would say if you want nice rims than I would go with the 3/4 stuff especially if you tow trailers on occasions.