Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 suburban with a 454 from the factory?!?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 22, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Today, I saw a suburban for sale...it was probable a late 70's early 80's...it just looked like your regular 1/2 ton variety, except that it had a 454 BBC in it...was this some strange factory option? I don't know what tranny or anything b/c I just drove by it...I am going to call the owner and find out more..they want like $1200 for it...

Chris

2. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

454 only came in the 2wd for some stupid reason.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and didnt come in 1/2 ton after 79 im pretty sure

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've speculated before, but I wonder if the extra weight of the 454 and 4wd stuff was just too much?

Can't really believe that was the sole reason, but my dads K20 with a 454 swapped in for a 350 won't hold on his concrete driveway (rear tires will slide) when it used to, no problem. That would be a safety issue, if that was even close to being an issue, GM wouldn't have sold it had they known it, when it was easy to prevent. Just don't offer it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif