Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 to 3/4 ton.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 11, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes i have searched a ton, i want new gears for my truck but i guess it will cost the same for 3/4 ton axels rather than to get the gears for my 10bolt. What do i need for 3/4 ton axels. Do they have all the same bolt patterns ie shocks/springs and such as 1/2ton. What is invoved with the swap. thanks Mike

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i was shocked at how much 3/4 ton axles started costing me. i got a pair out of a 78 3/4 ton and i put almost everything but new gears on them and i was in it well over a thousand. thats including rear disc swap. im throwing mine in this weekend, so ill let you know how mine goes

3. stockk5

ya im wondering though if i took like the whole 3/4 ton axel, brakes and all what would i have to do to bolt them onto my truck.. make new brackets for the shocks and springs and replace the brakes?

4. stockk5

anyone have input,, sry if this is such a retorical questions, i searched and searched but i didnt find any details about what is needed.

5. blazerdude69

blazerdude69 Registered Member

when I installed my 3/4 ton stuff it was a direct bolt in. I even got lucky and the rear drive shaft u joint was correct.:grin: your rear axle is a larger tube than the stock 10 bolt. new u bolts needed. but if i remember correctly (dont always do that0 I just turned the spring plate sideways and it fit that way.:confused:

6. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

What do you need? You'll need new spring plates and u-bolts for the rear (they might be included with the axle). I had a 4 inch lift block so I had to get new rear u-bolts. I needed a conversion u-joint (available at NAPA). I broke a brake line and needed to replace the brake line. The shock and spring mounts are the same (from 1/2 to 3/4 ton). I believe all 8-bolt pick-up truck wheels use the same bolt pattern. I used 16" wheels with a 4.25" or 4.5" offset. A 15" wheel will not clear the front brakes unless you grind the brake caliber. The front was a direct bolt in (steering arm, spring plates, u-joint, shock mounts, spring plates) except the larger brake issue.

I made the same decision. Rather than re-gear I switched to 3/4 tons with 4.10s. I added rear discs ($200), new bearings ($40), new u-joint ($15), new brake line ($??), and it was ready to roll. The new wheels and tires did break the bank, but I guess I could have avoided those.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

get a 14BFF out of a 3/4 ton pickup from 1973-1987 and a front 10B 3/4 ton 8 lug version out of a 78-87 3/4 ton truck or burb. It will bolt in like it belonged there. The Front 3/4 10B is a COMPLETE unbolt/bolt back job. Nothing is different between the 1/2 and 3/4 version besides the gears inside the diff and the 8 lug hubs.

The rear 14BFF is almost as simple. You will need new ubolts, spring plates, and a ujoint(Neapco 2-1153). Thats it for parts. The 3/4 ton version 14BFF will have the same spring perch width and shock placement, will bolt right in. THe 1 ton version has different perch widths and the shocks are backwards, AVOID THE 1 TON VERSION! Your brake line fittings will bolt right up and the e-brake might too if the axle is nearly the same year as your K5. You will love the difference of braking performance the alrger 2.5" rear drums deliver.