Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton, 3/4ton, 1ton question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

What do these really mean? Is this a rating that the truck can hold, I know the difference between the three, i am just woundering what determines the rating. This post is the result of working midnights and being sleep deprived /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Amazing what a tired brain thinks about.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Most talk here about different tonnage refers to axles. A 1/2 ton is usually a ten bolt or twelve bolt rear w/ a ten bolt or D44 front axle and six lugs. A 3/4 ton is a 14 bolt rear and a D44 front w/ 8 lugs, and 1 ton is a 14 bolt rear and a D60 front w/ 8 lugs. The ton designation is out of what size four wheel drive came from the factory w/ what axles. I think that's pretty accurate. Hope thats clear enough.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It doesn't really mean anything. I think those designations originated from old military terminology. If you want to know what kind of work a truck was built to do, look at the GVWR, and the front and rear axle ratings.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

79-87 3/4 ton's got an 8 lug 10 bolt front end and some of the got semi-float 14 bolts.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have an 8-lug 10b front and a 8-lug 14b sf rear, i'm a 3/4 ton.

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

The tonnage of a truck is how strong it is in general. This means frames, springs, master cylinders, and axles. 1 ton trucks ride higher due to their bigger frame, and have bigger axles and master cylinders. A lot of it is the axles but its not all that is involved.