Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton axles and jumping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Jan 1, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Both me and my buddies went jumping in our trucks for New Years. His is a 78 K5 with 6" lift on 35" boggers. 12 bolt rear, dana 44 front. Mine is my burb, 4" lift on 38.5" Sxs, 12 bolt rear 10 bolt front. Anyways He broke 5 of 6 lug nuts and studs off the right rear tire. So my question is, does anyone know of some longer and stronger studs. We both run aluminum wheels, so there isnt alot of threads holding the lug nut on like on a steel wheel. BTW my 1/2 axles did just fine prerunnering through the desert at 65 mph. I even went through some dirt bike whoops.

Thanks Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Summit racing has longer and stronger studs
    kinda like the ones used on race cars.
    Bo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. DesertDueler

Ive used them on my racecar, but wasnt sure if there are the same for our trucks.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Truss the darn things before you break the axles themselves!!!! BTW, got pics?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DesertDueler

There were a few people video taping. We were drag racing through the desert. We are going out again in a couple of weeks, and will take some pics. I miss my sandrail (broke the frame in Glamis clearing 15 feet of air for the 3 time in a row /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). So my Burb is getting to do some jumping.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have bumpstops that work too. My avatar jump broke both of my rear shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

like buba said truss them or you will regret it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. DesertDueler

Trussing them is a good idea. I am going to shortly. I was worried about wheels falling off like my buddies first though.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you swing out through yuma let me know man.
    yeah, and if you need parts cus you break somethig out there let me know as well.
    i might be able to help.
    Grant

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Make sure you have bumpstops that work too. My avatar jump broke both of my rear shocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you should of $$$$$$ into some shocks before you did that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My shocks are/were pieces of crap anyways. I think they are worn out, when or if they break again im going to try and get some 7100's.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Try searching in the ord forum from a long while back. I think watson posted some part #'s for 1/2" studs. I had one of my 7/16" studs come off in my hand while I was dooing the brakes. I changed the front to new studs (same diameter) but should have done the rear too because I lost my rear wheel on the hwy doing about 80mph.

Also you will want to put bigger spindle bolts on to keep the spindle on the truck.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Convert to 3/4 tons and you'll get 8 9/16" studs on every wheel.

14. DesertDueler

3/4 ton makes the truck weigh more. I probably couldnt even get that 14 FF off the ground /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

you can get anything airborne with the right ramp and speed! we used to get my 76 in the air all the time, 3/4 ton front and 14 bolt rear! at the time it only had a 305 in it!! But it was the landing that killed it. bent frame/broken body mounts! oh,,, TRUSS TRUSS TRUSS!!

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Keep jumping your 'burb and you will end up with a badly broken truck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They weren't made to fly... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Even with trusses, one bad landing will snap the front axle and the truss. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Traiged got to you before I did, yes you can upgrade to 1/2" studs and you will never break them. I had that on my 73. You have to drill out the holes to bigger in the hub and discs.
    As for jumping like everyone said truss them and I would also weld the tubes to the pumpkin, those rosettes tend to break loose and you turn a tube and destroy the pinion and gears.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use a 14 SF, not that much heavier and still 8 lug. Thicker shafts too.

The front axle is already full floating obviously. Simply weld the tubes to the pumpkin.

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

as a desert guy you already know the key to jumpoing is long travel suspension complete with real shock absorbers.
    trussing or ?? will not be enough to save any dif from the the truck coming down solid on it.
    just a matter of time