Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton burb spring info?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bcrewcaptain, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

Looking to see if anyone has some pics of the front stock 1500 springs on a burb, mine seem to be pretty dern flat/high in the center, wondering how bad mine are actually sagging......(mines a 90/350/4wd)

spring.JPG

2. bcrewcaptain

now they look worse since I see that pic... :eek1:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing's wrong...

ALL GM stock 2 and 3 leaf front springs have a "negative" arch,and look like there upside down to some degree-its just the way they are..only lift kit springs look like a bow,like the rears do..its the way GM designed and intended them to be--and if they are close to the rubber bump stops,like
    an inch and a half to two inches away,they are not sagging--thats how close they are even when new.. :crazy:

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

YUP, thats the way mine looked too,,, :crazy:

5. bcrewcaptain

ok, thanks guys, those were starting to concern me a bit, the rears are a diff story, but thats being taken care of, the front...if that looks all good..I'll just replace the bushings on the suspen. and rattlecan it and be done!

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well, they don't look bad, but honestly, i have never seen a "good" looking set of front springs.

I'd be willing to bet, they are very worn out, and sagging just a bit, compared to new.

Heck mine when i got the truck, sat uneven, i think it was the passenger side sat lower than the drivers.

If ya wanna keep it at stock height, i would suggest at least getting a new set of front springs, it just about has to improve the ride too.

7. bcrewcaptain

well at this point...it wont hurt...the truck has 290,000 on the body, granted most everything has been checked, repacked, replaced or checked over....motor and tranny replaced...but I'm not real happy with the steering(gonna check the box this weekend to make sure its not got the dreaded crack underneath)
    but being as I'm gonna end up using this to tow a travel trailer and for taking on the sand at the beach...I want it to have some manners...

but I do still want to keep the best ride possible, I have some airshocks to install on the rear to help the load handling...any reccomendations on where to get springs? front and rear should prob get replaced to be 100%

8. diesel4me

Air shocks...Uh Uh..

I wouldn't put air shocks on it..GM trucks have a habit of ripping the shock mounts off with stock shocks!..the mounts were never intended to handle the weight of a vehicle,and thats just where an air shock puts that weight..plus they often leak..

You'd be better off with air BAGS in the rear..they ride nice and soft when unloaded,and transfer the weight to the frame and spring ,where it belongs,they are more durable than air shocks..(many semi's use air bag suspension,Greyhound busses too!)..A few friends use them for hauling a slide in camper,and they worked very well..not hard to install either..

..they also sell similar "jelly bags" that are not adjustable,that only touch when the truck is loaded down,for less money..I used them on an E-350 Ford econoline cube van we converted to a beavertail ramp truck to haul cars and tractors on..worked slick!..

There are many sources of new leaf springs..many are cheap import OEM replacements that dont last..some cheaper lift kit springs ride like crap,too stiff and bouncy..you get what you pay for when it comes to springs..I don't know which are best,maybe the other guys and gals here can advise you better--I've only had stock GM springs on my trucks,and only replace one if it breaks!..so far,only 1 leaf in the rear on one of my trucks broke,due to extreme rust. I put a junkyard one back in! :rolleyes: :crazy:

9. bcrewcaptain

hmm...food for thought....50 bucks a pair did sound awful good for a pair that would fix all my problems
    I'll look into the bags....they were pretty expensive..but I guess somethings are worth it....might upgrade to a slightly wider tire as well...not extreme as it needs to be road worthy as well...
    just trying to weigh options
    thanks for all the input...keep it coming!

10. diesel4me

Not too costly..

I've seen Air Bags in Jeg's and Summit Racing catologs for under 200 bucks for the complete kit,not including a compressor( you can pump them up at gas station or use a small 12V compressor)..you only need their fancy compressor if you want to be able to adjust them from the dash while driving.
    That would set you back another 100 bucks or more.. :crazy: