Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton 'burban tow rig

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by rick88blaze, Feb 8, 2006.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I might have a chance to pick up a nice '88 suburban 1/2 ton 2wd in May for a really good price. $1400. It has about 130K on it, the tranny has been rebuilt with a shift kit and the 350tbi runs great. If I do get it I'll be flat towing my K5 this summer for wheeling but I will try to get a trailer for next year.

My question is, does anyone know the towing capacity for a 1/2 ton suburban?

When I do get a trailer it will have brakes on at least one axle so I know that will help. From what I read when I searched, most folks still recommend upgrading the rear to a 14 bolt SF or FF and the springs. If it has at least 3.73 gears will it really help that much to upgrade the axle if I don't do the springs too? :dunno:

Thanks in advance, :D
    Rick

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

My 90 model 4x4 has the factory tow package on it and the hitch says 9500#

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Im pretty sure what the hitch says isn't the vechile's tow rating. Its just a class V hitch that is rated at 9500lbs.......its only as capable as what it is bolted to.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly, the burb itself is probably limited to about 6K max according to the factory specs.

5. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My burb barly pulls its own fat @$$ around let alone tow anything. Thats proplem with it to big to be a decent trail rig(without cutting off too much) and too weak to be a tow rig. Get 3/4 2x with a 454 and you shouldnt have to worry too much

6. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

no kidding

my stock 91 1500 4x4 350/700R4 can barely sling its own arz around, and the 180k mile 350 runs beautifully. The suburban should have never been available without anything less than a big block in my opinion. this 88 you're talking about may save alot of weight being 2wd, but trust me, it will have hell pulling your blazer.

unless you swap a 14-bolt w/4.10s under it

and supercharge it! yea!

whoops, budget broke eh?

I'd spring for a 2wd 3/4 ton burb with the TBI454

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I yanked a '78 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham from San Diego,Ca to Phoenix,AZ with the Burb, using a tow bar,,,was heavy climbing up the hills at about 45mph, but did the job ok. ATE ALOT OF FUEL TOO:doah:

the Caddy weighs somewhere near what the Burb weighs too, maybe alittle less.

Just as long as you are aware of the weight, and braking characteristics, it shouldn't be a problem for the occasional pull to the trails.

BTW, the motor/trans combo IS a TBI 350/700r4 and at that time it had about 215k miles on it.:doah: