Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton D44 hubs same as 1/2 ton 10 bolt hubs?....NOPE!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Nov 30, 2003.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Did a search and found lots of info on differences bet. 1/2 and 3/4 ton hubs, but I'm changing my ball joints next week and I'm going to put on some slotted rotors at the same time. Now, I want to have a set of hubs ready to go with the rotors pressed on already. I went to the junkyard and got some rotors/hubs from a 10 bolt with auto locking hubs, 'cause I thought I read here that the parts for the d44/10 bolt were the same from the backing plate on out, after searching I'm not so sure... So, are my 1973 D44 hubs interchangeable with the I-don't-know-what-year 10 bolt auto locking hubs? I have a MileMarker manual hub kit installed, will that swap over? Am I S.O.L. with my 10 bolt hubs I paid $40 for?

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Re: 1/2 ton D44 hubs same as 1/2 ton 10 bolt hubs?

Im pretty sure that Dana 44s of that vintage had a different hub, Same as the 72s. they were and external hub.

3. mofugly13

Man, that would suck. What's the difference between internal and external hubs? I thought external hubs were where the axleshaft has a flange on the end that bolts to the hub on the outside of the hub. Visually, both the hubs I got at the yard and the D44's I have on there now are the same. Both are splined on the inside. While I haven't done a side by side comparison, I changed my wheel bearings on the 44 about two months ago and that hub and the 10 bolts I picked up look the same as far as I can remember. Hopefully someone can give me a definitive answer...

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

ALL 10Bolt and D44 hubs are interchanible as far as I know
    BUT if there not you can probably go back the the junk yard(go to the same guy) and get the spindles off the 10bolt and slap them on your D44

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

1/2 ton D44's and 10 bolts are all of the internal hub design. It was the '76-older 8-lug D44's that were external. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mofugly13

OK, so I'm good to go /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you will be able to put the MM lockouts from the '73 1/2 ton axle onto the 1/2 ton 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mofugly13

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you will be able to put the MM lockouts from the '73 1/2 ton axle onto the 1/2 ton 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I figured the lockouts would swap. But can anyone tell me FOR SURE if the hubs are the same? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Maybe this will help. This info is provided by thatK30guy.

GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub & rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60

So, your '73 D44 bearing hubs will not work on the 10 bolt or vice versa. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. mofugly13

Yeah, I foun that when I searched. When I read the following is when I started getting worried that I paid for some parts that wouldn't work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Updated:

Well, I just went and did the obvious thing. I compared one of my spare D44 inner wheel bearings with an inner bearing that came out of the 10 Bolt hub. My

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

So, your '73 D44 bearing hubs will not work on the 10 bolt or vice versa. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help, Beast /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Guess I'm off to find some first design D44 hubs /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Updated:

Well, I just went and did the obvious thing. I compared one of my spare D44 inner wheel bearings with an inner bearing that came out of the 10 Bolt hub. My first design D44 bearings are noticeably smaller than the 10 Bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Crap! I gotta find some of the right hubs so I can fix my squirrely steering...

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...or get the spindles from the 10B.

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is a thread I made a while back, it shows the difference between 1st and 2nd design spindles. If you get 10 bolt spindles, beware of the change to the seal on the stub shaft that mates up to the back of the spindle. You might need to grab the axleshafts as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif