Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton front axleshaft breakage? *Poll*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Which side axleshafts do you usually break more. I have been told shortside, and I just read longside. So what do you break most? I am running a 10 bolt with 35's and locker on a heavy truck.

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

both that i have broken have been the long side. i think it is a coin toss to see which one breaks first

3. playtoy1

playtoy1 Registered Member

im running a welded front (cheap locker) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and have broke 4 short side axles and 4 stubs 0 long side shafts i wish i could break more long sides i have lots of spares

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    im running a welded front (cheap locker) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and have broke 4 short side axles and 4 stubs 0 long side shafts i wish i could break more long sides i have lots of spares

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 2 words...dana sixty!

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Took me one time of shattering a joint and stub. I am upgrading to a D60 as soon as the IRS get off there lazy a$$ and sends me my money.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Need to have an option for both. The only shafts I broke were all 4 at the same time. Both u-joints let go (some nice D30 sized u-joints that come on 1st gens) and took out the shafts all at the same time.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I never broke a shaft, the ujoint always let go and took out the ears on both shafts. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Both sides about the same,stockers and Warns.Grinding stock shafts for full circle snap rings will help them live alot longer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This was the most spectacular explosion,lots of pretty sparks /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif This one bent the inner C on the housing.Those are Warns and a 760x. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    [​IMG]

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've broken one of each, 10 bolt is coming out next weekend, in with D60 and crossover.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so Tim, it is official then? i'll be there!

12. playtoy1

playtoy1 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 2 words...dana sixty!

[/ QUOTE ]
    no thanks on the sixty front to heavy for my use of the truck mud drags and boggs i need less wieght
    by this spring will have my 84 short box down under 3600 pounds /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no thanks on the sixty front to heavy for my use of the truck mud drags and boggs i need less wieght

[/ QUOTE ]

Mud is fairly forgiving.I have a friend here in town that has a 69 Camaro with a worked 468/350/208,a 10 bolt and welded 12 bolt.He has a heavy right foot and beats the snot out of it and never breaks anything.He just sorta skips across the top of the mud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    so Tim, it is official then? i'll be there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it's official get your hillbilly ass here and help me get this stuff installed.