Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton IFS locker

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by zcarczar, Mar 23, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Anybody know of one? My dad really wants one for his 99 2 door Tahoe.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never even seen a limited slip for one. Isn't it a factory locker pretty much? I mean once the differential is engaged I think its lock. I have never seen an IFS Chevy just spinning one front tire.

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah ive been told that all my tires spin in the mud but ive watched my front tires when climbing up really steep hills and sometimes 1 of the front tires would stop spining for a few sec's then go back to spining.. so i think its a limited slip locked.. so is the rear of my truck so its a badass site watching 4 rooster tails.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah well its a factory unit so its a pretty crappy locker I am sure. When you consider it is locked by some little mechanism being heated up and all its amazing it actually works ya know?

5. Miller

Miller Registered Member

hmmmmmm I didnt think there was locker for the front 1/2 ton ifs dif. think theres on for the 3/4?

as far as I know its not locked when the actuator is ingaged, that just engages the dif. I know for fact mine isnt anywhere close to locked when the dif is ingaged. Ive been stuck on countless acasions with one side barreing the mud spinning and the other side just siting there look pretty. same with the rear. Ive even been stuck on dry ground with two tires in the air one front and back, the front tire wasnt quite air born just enough it wasnt putting weight on the ground. rear was in the air.

weld the front end up that way its aonly engaged when in 4wd that way in 2wd the driving charecteristics are the same as always. only problem with that is youd have to split the 3rd member

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

no 1/2t locker, either factory or aftermarket. the front IFS is open

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I know my dad's old 94 really blew in the snow and mud. And the actuator died a couple times so yeah 1 legging in snow odesn't work. THe posi in that thing was horrible.

8. 89K1500Chevy

well i got a Auburn limited slip in the rear but yeah mine works pretty good for me in the mud..I keep my tires moving from left to right and it keeps the front end grabbing good.. 4 lo helps it out alot too..

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Hmmm I was just looking on Randy's Ring and Pinion's site and they say that there is a No-Slip available for the 8.25 IFS. He really wanted a selectable locker but I guess he will have to settle for what they make.

10. 89K1500Chevy

badass how much is that gonna cost?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif