Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton manual tranny...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ftn96, Aug 8, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, from the looks of things, my options are pointing to a getrag 1/2 ton 5speed. Has anyone converted from auto to getrag? Anything different than the swap over to a 4500?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Getrag is an all aluminum tranny with an integral bellhousing. No big deal except the slave cylinder and clutch fork is on the passenger side and the front driveline will likely hit it (maybe)

Other than that you should be able to swap the 32 spline input you have into your 241 and run with it. Drivelines will need lengthening and shortening to suit of course...

It's kind of a noisy tranny but it shifts very car like and the ratio splits are pretty good.

Rene

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What happened to the high-buck 700R4 that you installed a while back? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shifts too hard...despite all of Brandon's efforts to tame it.

Rene

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, like Rene said...That High Dollar Collar made me hollar. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif No...It shifted WAY too hard for a 4X4 tranny. I could turn the 36" TSL-R's over enough to make them churp when it hit second gear. Now that was fine and all when I was "holding" it to the floor. But when I was wanting to cruise like normal and it was causing my CD player to skip..../forums/images/icons/mad.gif That's too much. Would be a nice tranny for a 69 Camaro with a 396 TPI or something but not on this dawg!! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    If the price is right I'll go with a TH400 and change my gears back to 4.10's. IT's cheaper than bigger tires.

6. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

You looking to sell the 700r got a buddy who might be interested?