Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton to 1 ton??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5'er, Nov 29, 2001.

1. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

Does anyone know where,how hard,and if it would be worth it to change from my 1/2 ton drivetrain to a 1 ton?(you know, 400 turbo trans with transfer and 1 ton front and rears). I have an 88 K-5 Blazer, with a 6 " lift and 35" thornbirds. I'd like to take it off road but i feel assured of braking something with the stock 1/2 ton! any help would be great! thanks!!

2. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

yeah do it. do a search on it and you will find lots on it. like the 14 bolt full floater and the Dana 60 front.

3. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

ok cool! i def. will! thanks for the info bud.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, your in luck. Because your running TBirds, you don't have to worry about breaking anything. They don't hook up well enought to break anything! LOL [​IMG][​IMG]

Seriously though, as long as you don't go crazy with the gas you should be fine with 35s and 1/2 ton gear. I ran for several years with very little breakage in a '75 Blazer with mild 454 and 35s. Just keep some sense about you, use a little finesse instead of a lot of the stupid pedal, and you will be fine.

Go have fun. If you don't do serious rock crawlin' or mud drags you should be fine with a little common sense. I wouldn't advise anyone to spend that kind of money (going 1 ton in a K5) unless you have a history of breaking things or you just want to be able to "romp" without worrying so much (although you can still break things with 1 ton gear). If you go over 35" tires though, you start having a much harder time keeping 1/2 ton gear alive and 1 ton gear becomes pretty much mandatory IMHO for any significant off-road use when you get to 37"+.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

good. i was kinda hoping to hear that from someone!! lol but, should i invest in some bigger gears then? i have stock ones now. not sure what they are though.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If your going to spend the money to regear a 1/2 ton you might as well find 1 ton stuff with the gears your looking for. You can find 1 ton stuff with 4.10 already in them from the factory. Thats my opinion. I already did this once. I didn't know at the time that you could use 1 ton stuff easily, and my dad had a shop rebuild my 10 bolt after the gov-lock expolded. I won't even say how much it cost, but I could have gone 1 ton in the rear for that much $.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 10 bolt front, 14 bolt semi floater rear, a 4" lift, and 35" BFG Mud terrains. I have absolutely beat the crap out of my truck in the mud and have yet to have as much as a u joint fail in the front axle.

With Thornbirds, I'd be willing to say that there's no way that you'll break your axles. There just isn't enough power there.

Well...maybe the 10 bolt rear.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I blew the gov-lock in my 10 bolt rear with 32's on the street. And that was with a stock 350. I know a 14 bolt FF is high on my list of to do's even though I only have 32, and right now only plan on 33-35's. The less parts I have to worry about breaking the better, and I definitly wouldn't worry about a 14BFF.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

9. BadDog

Hoss is right. If your gonna regear, and you don't have expensive wheels to throw away (6 to 8 lug change) then you are better off buying a good (ready to go) set of 3/4 or 1 ton axles with the right gears for a little more. A 3/4 D44 or C10 will give you better brakes and much, MUCH cheaper than a D60. 3/4 ton stuff (gets you the same C14 as 1 ton) should be fine with 35s and reasonable care on the trail combined with quality parts and maintenance. With 3/4 and 1 ton stuff, 4.10 is common and 4.56 is not hard to find. You just need to add it all up and see how it shakes out for you. Maybe you will get lucky and find a good deal. If you have your heart set on a D60, it's often better just to find a 77+ K30/V30 with a D60 in it. You can often get the whole truck running for what people ask for a good D60/C14 combo alone. Swap out the parts you want and sell the leftovers. If you are careful, you will come out way ahead.

I wouldn't worry about the tranny though unless it gives you trouble. With a cooler it should be ok as long as you don't try to run too high gears with too large tires (making it slip too much, same effect as towing all the time).

But, before you do anything, get out an use it like it is! See how it performs and what areas YOU feel needs improving most (or what breaks repeatedly) and start there.

Russ

10. k5'er

k5'er Registered Member

thanks to all you guys for the great help!! i found a 78 chevy with 1 ton stuff. its got a 400 turbo trans and the big transfer case. will that drivetrain bolt basically right onto my blazer without any major mods?? he is selling it for a grand. i think he'll take less but the engine isnt any good. which is fine because mine is great. any suggestions?? good investment??

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You suck! Buy it...the front axle alone is worth $1000

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

make sure it has a dana 60 front axle!!!
    he might be trying to pull a fast one.
    with out the 60 it is an average deal, with the 60 GET IT NOW

13. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

since were on upgrades... what transmisison and T-case combo would be good for a 454, D60/14ff, w/ 4.10 gears, and 40" mud hoggs?? this is my upgrade wish list and i haven't decided on what type of tranny would be good for this setup..

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

14. BadDog

Just my opinion but, a 205 would be my first (only) choice for case with those gears/tires and a 454. For the same reason (big engine squezing everything between it and those not very low gears and big ol' tires) I would go with a TH400 (or the late model version 4L80E if you have the wiring AND you get OD) for a slush box. Anything else would need a significant buildup to survive in there. A SM465 (very low "granny" gear) would be my choice for a manual and would be better at getting a good crawl ratio with 4.10s.

Of course, whether you worry about crawl ratio depends on what you do with your truck.

Russ