Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tacoma972, Mar 23, 2002.

1. tacoma972

tacoma972 1/2 ton status

I bought a chevy K-20 for the 3/4 ton axles and I am wondering if I have to do any special modifications to the hangers or anything to swap in to my 1/2 ton K-5. Any info would be appreciated.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You don't have do do anything..the axles are a true BOLT-IN...Pretty sweet, huh? You MAY need a new driveshaft, because the pinion snout of the 14bff is a bit longer than your 10-bolt...But if you do a lift at the same time, you might be okay...I've been told that when putting a 6" lift on and a 14bff works great b/c you don't need to swap the drive shaft...

Chris

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    This has been covered many times.Your rear shaft should be okay, but you will need a special U- Joint(NAPA #348 or 447).Now or later you can use the 3/4 ton rear springs(should be 56" long) and do a shackle flip for the rear.Other than that, all you need is the 8 lugger wheels.One other item that could cause a little trouble is the frt. brake lines.Using the 3/4 ton lines you should be good to go.Good luck and welcome aboard!

4. don't forget to keep the u bolts and spring plates off the 14 bolt. and if you are running lift blocks you will need new u bolts for the rear. Napa has em in all different lengths for about 11 bucks each. only other wierd thing is sometimes there is a brake line issue in the front if you are going from 10 bolt to dana 44 or vise versa. this happened on my blazer and i just used the calipers that where on the blazer instead of the ones on the doner axle. plus that way you don't have to undo the front brake lines to do the swap. less brake bleading.