Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton frame thickness?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jan 27, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Is there a difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frame thickness?
    I'm askign because I have a k20 cab on a lwb frame, not sure if the frame is 1/2 or 3/4 ton or how I can tell. Isn;t there supposed to be decipherabe numbers on the frame somewhere?
    -- Mike

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, pay attention: 73-80 frames (1/2 and 3/4) are all the same. 81-87 frames (1/2 and 3/4) are also all the same. These are the long bed frames. The thickness, hardness of metal, and dimensions are all the same. The only difference is the spring mounts for the rear hangers on the 3/4 tons. In 80, they made the 3/4 tons springs longer, so they moved the hangers back 4". 81 and up 3/4 tons (most of them) have 56" long springs. Some did come out with 52". Nothing is different other than the rear spring hangers on the 1/2 and 3/4. One tons have a total different frame. Those are thicker metal, wider channels, taller rails, and lot heavier. ALL one tons come with 56" rear springs.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Cool, I've always wondered about that. Now I just need to figure out how to adapt a 1 ton frame for a '73K5. (That won't be for a while!)

[​IMG]

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Are the springs measured from eye to eye?

Smitty

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, they sure are. Remember when you buy brand new springs from lift kit companies, the springs may measure shorter from eye to eye than the listed length. When you install them, they will settle to the correct length. Dont be alarmed when you see different lengths on springs.