Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton frames

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by jimmy88, Oct 1, 2002.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I always thought the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks shared the same frame in the pickups. The post on the other board says the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frames are the same. Is that true and more importantly are the sub 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton frames the same? I've always kept an eye out for a 3/4 ton to get the frame. No point if its the same as my 1/2 ton's!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes, the 1/2 and 3/4 ton frames are the same, the 1 ton frames are different. Even with a burb the 1/2 and 3/4 are the same.

3. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

frames are the same most people look at 3/4 tons for drivetrain parts.only real difference between 1/2s and 3/4 tons is drivetrain parts,suspension and in some years engine (less emission equip) and tranny.keeping an eye out for 3/4 ton burbans is a good idea they are pretty hard to come by here and a few other places.ive been looking for one for awhile now and either they are rusted to death or the owners wont sell them or just too much money.
    goodluck

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I was always lead to believe the 3/4 ton frames were made with heavier gauge steel then the 1/2 tons... at the least, most have the longer springs, and generaly sit taller. ( of course, that's all in the bracketing... )

I'd go with what the other guys said...

I have 2 3/4 tons here, one's for sale, but it has a beaten frame ( previous retarded #$% owner took it offroad, and landed the frame rails on several rocks... its only a 2wd) I might be able to get the play by play skinny on the frame differences, as I have a 1/2 ton suburban sitting around too... (or I could look at nates)

-Rich

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have a 1/2ton and my dad has a 3/4ton, and I was looking at them both, and the are exactly the same, right down to the thickness of steel.

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I had always thought the 3/4 ton frame was thicker steel. Now I don't feel as bad about logging on 1 minute late to an auction and missing a 88 3/4 ton with 4 speed AND barn doors, that sold for $601.