Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/4 eliptical

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaun, Oct 17, 2003.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I know you can run a 3/4 eliptical suspension on a full size. But I want to know if there is anyway to run a 1/4/. I see alot of wranglers doing it but i wonder if there is any 1/4 eliptical spring (half of spring pack) that would be strong enough to support a fullsize. I will have a full size 35 or 38 spare in the tub (havent chosen tire size yet) plus a full roll cage and probably some extra parts and a fuel cell. If any one has any advice it will be greatly appreciated. If I cant find a 1/4 eliptical spring pack to hold that kind of wieght I guess I will do coilovers but I want to try these instead. Any help please?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Most people that do 1/4 eliptic do it with home made spring packs. I would start out with some long (ford 57" or GM IFS 63") stock leaf springs and cut them in half. Than mix and match with some of your factory springs to get the pack you want, and clamp it to your frame. You can (IMO should) add a few leaves to the bottom of the pack to adjust how much droop you want. You will also have to run some type of 3 or 4-link to control the suspension.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you can call alcan if you have a design. they can make a spring pack. or you can homemake your own.
    a local spring shop here in town wants to do a 1/4 elip on my blazer. but he wants me to pay for labor and parts. i told him since he wants to do it then ill pay for parts, but not labor and he told me to screw myself(in a nice way, but i got what he was laying down) i wouldnt mind doing it. but i dont think on a front it is worth it.
    Grant