Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/4 elliptical suspension on a full size?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by k5 krawler 50, Feb 6, 2004.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Has any one ran a rear 1/4 elliptical set up on the K5 or Full size truck? Any one have any pix of this too? Thanks
    Cory

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its been done, let me look around. Even jeeps need big spring packs with 1/4 eliptical.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1/4 eliptical thread
    I was gonna direct you to a thread on Bluetorch Fabworks Forum but I looked and realized you came here from there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's the only pic I have of a quarter elip setup. They used to be somewhat popular in desert trucks, but from my impression people started going away from them cause they were hard to tune and added weight, which wouldn't be too important in your setup.

[​IMG]

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I know its not the best picture, but its from Tanner 4 wheel drive

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[thinkingoutloud] wow imagine the springs it would take to 1/4 elip the rear of my suburban.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/thinkingoutloud]

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    I've had the pleasure of playing around w/ my 1/4 ellip setup on my Buggy. I think it could be used sucessfully w/ a full size light weight crawler, but I'm not sure I'd want it on a 6000 lb full size truck.

Much like the image below illustrates - for a heavy truck, the spring pack can become so heavy that it approaches the "not worth it" zone.
    [​IMG]

But I will go on to say that most guys (including myself) who are using the system take advantage of a trick to prevent the humongous spring pack. That is to have a bumpstop on top of the spring about mid-span across the leaf. This effectively creates a "dual rate" spring as compression of the suspension has a much stiffer spring rate than extension. You can see the passenger side rear spring in the top photo doing just that.... It's possible that I'll be replacing springs on a regular basis, but oh well. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think coil overs are cooler /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif, prolly easier to tune, but significantly more $$ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif....

Marv

8. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

here's one of the guys we wheel with. its an old fj buggy with 2.5's and rear elipticals...works awesome for him.

rear shot

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

This is another subject that I keep coming back to. LEaving the front leaf sprung and going quarter in the rear.

Just cant decide between quarter and 63 inch springs.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

on a stock body K5? What about the spring neccessity aren't you picking up on? 1/4 eliptical on a K5 is certainly doable but by no means the cheapest or best option IMO. Coils would be better and probably cheaper.

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

One year at SEMA a old Walker Evans Class 8 truck was on display. Had National Spring 1/4's on the rear. 27 leaves, I counted them. About 10" thick at the spring bolt. They had them set up such that the spring bolt was centered on a spring perch. The perch was welded to a tube and was free to rotate around an inner tube. Then that was a monster weight jack screw just forward of each tail light that the spring's rotation stopped against. That would allow them to dial in the rear ride height. Instead of a shackle they had a pair of vertical plates welded on the housing with a roller bolted btwn them.

12. josh454

josh454 Registered Member

13. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like you get a lot of rear axle steer with that set up

14. josh454

i don't mind a few inches of rear steer for over 4' of travel at the wheel....would you?

josh

15. k5 krawler 50

Josh454: that is a sweet ride, I think its something unique and different that looks like it can perform. When i first posted up on this subject people on here showed me your k5 and i was in aww. Sweet ride.

16. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

17. k5 krawler 50

I saw that, those kits are pretty awesome. Those spring packs are way think too.. I like the idea though maybe think about it for the K5 but 2500.00 is a little much for me right now..

18. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

Hey josh454 how did you deal with frame flex? My K5 busted a cage weld this weekend flexing so much!

19. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

if your going to go to the trouble of doing a link suspension you might as well run coils. I'm running jeep wrangelr rubicon front coils in the back and it's just right! you can buy them for $50.00 each at the dealership. I can make you some sick axle brackets and ship em out to ya if that's why you don't want to run coils.

20. josh454

frame is reinforced for pretty much the entire length of the truck due to all the suspension changes i made in the front end and the elliptical setup in the rear. i have had no problems with any welds breaking or even signs of that starting to happen.