Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1/4 elliptical suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler2, May 5, 2005.

1. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Anyone have some good pics, or a writeup of this. I want to run this in the rear of my new project.

Dan

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Marv runs it front and rear on his buggy. There might be some shots of it running around on his webshots or other AZ guys webshots. You are aware of the fact that you need to link the rear axle and that 1/4 elliptic tends to have alot of rear steer. You probably do know, but I just want to mention them incase.

Harley

3. DesertDueler2

I have seen some shots of Marvs buggy, and I saw the buggy when I was in tubing stage with the 1/4 elliptical installed. I wasnt into it then to pay much attention. I am now building my jeep that I got for free. I am taking the motor out of my blazer(Putting a new one in). Bought a th350 and a toyota t-case adapter to use in my toyota, but decided I dont like the compact truck, so I am taking the dual t-case setup and axles off of it and putting all of it into the cj5. My problem is rear d-shaft length, thats why I want to go 1/4 ellip.

Dan

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There are a few other routes beside 1/4 elliptic.

Air Shocks
    Coil springs
    coilover spring
    air over hydrolic

and others to I am sure.

1/4 elliptic is pretty straight forward though which is nice. You just gotta learn how to drive it with the rear steer. Marv has gotten pretty good at it and can actually use it to his advantage sometimes.

I know he is using 63" chevy spring packs cut in half for his springs. They flex like mad. Probably to much for the short wheelbase of a CJ5. I would also stretch the CJ5 wheelbase if I was you by at least 10" if not more. I would want to get it to somewhere around 95-100" and get its track a little wider for stability. Maybe full width axles or at least wider axles with rims with less backspace.

I know that my CJ5 (narrow track with normal wheelbase) is not to great when it comes to stability.

Harley

5. DesertDueler2

My plan is 102-105" wheel base. As for axles, I am going to stick with the toy axles because they have 5.29s and lockser f$r.

Dan

6. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

The quarter elliptical factor has NOTHING to do with rear steer. Rear steer is caused by the location/length/etc. of the links, not what is holding the truck up.