Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1.5", 1.75" or 2" Hydraulic Ram for steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

1.5\", 1.75\" or 2\" Hydraulic Ram for steering?

I am collecting parts for the crossover, ram assist steering conversion but am unsure of what bore size of ram I should go for. I hear the 2" might be too slow for the street but I can get them cheap. I can get the other sizes in a welded cylinder setup but they are more costly which I am ready for if need be. I run 40" boggers or TSL's and I do see quite a bit of street so I would like it to be responsive. Looking for opinions. Thanks.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: 1.5\", 1.75\" or 2\" Hydraulic Ram for steering?

1.5" is generally the best pic for the steet. the smaller bore give better response and less of a "sloppy" feel to the steering. the bigger you get, the slower the response and feel get.

Even with a 1.5" bore, it will still be the best steering stablizer ever and be great off road. you migh have to but a bit of muscle into it if you are really crossed up, but like everything else, life is a comprimise /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can get a complete kit, that's guaranteed to work, and has all the bits and pieces already included, from West Texas Offroad. The kit is pretty inexpensive, especially when you consider your time for chasing parts, getting everything to work right, etc.

4. Sandman

I agree that they do have a good kit and that might still be an option. However I have the resources to do my own drilling and tapping and hose getting locally. I can get the hoses built for around the high $30's. I can get the fittings I need for around $14. I have found some sources for rams as well. Just trying to decide which ram I want to go with. I can get a 2" cheap enough that I could do the whole job for around $100. It would be worth it to me to spend more for the quicker steering response. I was looking for opinions on ram size. Thanks.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

A 2" ram is usually not recommended for street use. They are just to slow. I would go with a 1 1/2" ram.

6. Sandman

Looks like I'll go with the 1.5" ram. I found them for $114. Thanks for the input.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would definately go with the 1.5. The only thing I don't like about my setup is it is way too slow with the 2" I got from WTO. I got my kit not long before they went to the smaller ram. I have enough power to push my rig sideways in the rocks when I get a tire up against something (makes me worry a little about the knuckles!). But, I have to rev the engine up over 1000 rpms just to turn with any speed, and even higher if I need to brake AND turn (I have hydro boost). At idle, going down a hill, off camber, trying to steer AND brake smoothly while having to keep the engine around 12-1500 rpms can be quite an "adventure" (requires packing extra undies too! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) Doing the same thing at idle is even worse, basically, you can steer, or you can brake, but not both. Pick *ONE*! I still have to modify my pump again to see if I can get some more flow at idle. If not, I may be looking for a smaller ram. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Sandman

Thanks for the reply. That was what I was looking for.

9. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Trade ya my 1.5" for your 2". PM me if you're interested.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, just talking to Matt (WTO) about my predicament (WAY too slow) and it looks like I might be going to a 1.75” ram for faster response, less power drop than 1.5”, and stronger than the 1.5”. Still not decided but, I wanted to update just in case...

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Personally, I favor the 1.75" rams. They are a good compromise for a truck that ocassionally hits the street, but also runs hard trails pushing big tires around. This is just my opinion, because I will always sacrifice street driveability for off road ability, to a certain extent. I drive mine on the street daily. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I might look into that myself, I could use a little more oomph with the 39.5's

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think ya better beef up that tie rod first! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Speaking of, did you ever get your steering fixed?

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Haven't even had a chance to drive the UAV since we got back from Indy let alone look at anything. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I drove mine in that parade and the day before yesterday. Don't hvae time to go anywhere. I am going up to the spotter challenge in it Sun. Just to watch though.