Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1.5 roller rockers

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JTB, May 21, 2001.

1. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Are full roller or roller tip rockers worth the price? I've read that they reduce friction and give a little extra horsepower but is it enough of a gain to be worth the cost? Anyone runnig a set? Thanks
    Jeff

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

They are kinda expensive. Around $200. There are many things that I would rather do with that kind of money. The difference is also only seen in the higher RPM range so it would not mean much most of the time. I would go with a cam or intake first (than again I still have the Cast Iron intake).

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

I've got roller tipped rockers on mine. The price on them isn't too bad (compared to full rollers). Whether it's worth it or not? I couldn't say I just figured that anytime I could reduce some friction it would be a good thing. They definately weren't on the top of the list of things to put in when I rebuilt the engine, but since I had it apart anyway...couldn't hurt.

Mike

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Hard to quantify "worth it." If you have a relatively stock valvetrain, they don't really do much other than reduce guide wear just a trace. If you have a mondo-lift, gonzo-RPM engine, they maintain geometry better because they don't flex and don't shift around a lot. They also reduce oil temperatures a little bit. The amount of friction reduction isn't worth talking about.

I don't have gonzo-RPM engines any more, but I run full rollers on all of my V8s. There's no real need for them, but I like to envision a reduction in guide wear over time.

Oh, they do make just a little more noise than the stock stamped steel rockers.