Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" BL isn't enough. Update 10-23-06

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Oct 18, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

don't have the body mounts yet but wanna get doubler installed. Took some 1.5" sq tube and put between the frame and body to mimic a 1" BL and mody mounts. Doubler wouldn't fit. Put some 3" sq in there to mimic 2.5" BL and it fits but my shifter hit the floor. Gonna have to go 3" bl for sure and some floor mods.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if you are gonna mod the floor why not keep it low and just mod more of the floor?

3. MNorby

i can either mod the floor like 3" up up or just a little. I keep going back and forth on it. After thinking about it I am kinda leaning toward 1" BL and floor mods. Would loose seat mounts and such in floor for pass side but once I cage it that wouldn't be a big deal. Then again I will be building custom seat mount for my cavi seats anywas just redesign my mounts. I need to do some more measuring tomarrow. I got it bolted in tonight and saw where it was gonna hit and called it a night.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I guess the idea of a completely flat bellypan is also out of the question......

:thinking:

5. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it due to the Big Block install or would it still be the same anyway?

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

If it were me I'd try to avoid that big of a body lift. As many know I had to go with a big body lift to fit my bbc and still had to make some firewall mods. I'm seriously considering moving my bbc forward to get rid of most of the body lift. Steering angle gets pretty severe with a 3" body lift - that required me to use u-joints at both ends of my steering shaft. Also with that much body lift I had issues with my t/c shifter. That probably won't be as big of an issue for you since you have to deal with the doubler shifters to deal with too. I didn't have clutch issues as I'm using a hydraulic clutch.

Just stuff for you to consider - you're probably already thinking about all those issues anyway. Keep us posted.

7. MNorby

its the doubler clearance i am running into. The big block is already in there w/o body lift. in regards to issues with BL I have a ford steering shaft to use with double u-joints, my th400 is controlled by an art carr shifter, and mt y/c shifter and triple sticked and hardmounted to the tranny to case adapter. Just clearing the cases is the thing now.

DSC02436.JPG

DSC02895.JPG

8. MNorby

ok, got the floor cut for the shifters and got the cases rose as high as they can with my mocked up 2.5" body lift. Cases still hang down some more than I would like. I have 12 3" pucks which I am leaning toward now that I put the 40s on. Can anyone with 40s measure their rig and compare to mine?

Front end:
    top of body to floor: 58"
    highest point of fender well to floor: 49.5"
    top of tire to highest fender: 11"

Rear end:
    top of body (bed side) to floor: 62"
    highest point of fender well to floor: 48.5"
    top of tire to highest fender: 10.5"

*all are ~ some since can't hold tape directly to body without folding over tire/ body parts.

Thinking the MTRs would probably clear but the 15.5" wide TSLs on 10" wide 3.5" backspaced wheels will have alot more scrub and hit for sure under turn/ flex. Also the front end is still back more than I would like. Was measuring the 52s should bring it forward a couple more inches for sure and help clear the cab.

Here are some pics:

DSC03802.JPG

DSC03805.JPG

DSC03807.JPG

DSC03817.JPG

DSC03816.JPG

9. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Coming together. :waytogo:

Your definitely going to have to trim some sheet metal, no question about it.

Here's the #'s from mine
    Front:
    Top of fender to floor = 58"
    Top of fender well to floor = 49"
    Top of tire to fender = 10.5"

Rear:
    Top of bedside to floor = 63"
    Top of fender well to floor = 49"
    Top of tire to fender = 11.5"

You can see from the pics that alot of sheet metal has to go...:grind:

The spring pic is there to show that things aren't going to flex any much more than they already are sitting on the 2' block.

dcp_3867blusoftop.jpg

dcp_3911flexed.jpg

dcp_3912flexed.jpg

dcp_3918flexed.jpg

dcp_3926flexed.jpg

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Is "stuffage" a word? If so, nice stuffage! :bow:

11. MNorby

VT,looks like our rigs are close to the same height. At least I have an idea of suspension cycling with 40s with your pic, thanks man! :waytogo: Still up in the air on the 1" vs 3" bl but seem slike hte 3" has alot more pros to it than cons. Trimming fenders doesn't bother me but I don't really wanna have to cut up past the body line part