Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" Body Lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backcountry, Jul 6, 2004.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

1\" Body Lift

If I were to install a 1" body lift, do I have to make any mod's or is it just bolt on stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Pro's And Con's please! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, where can I purchase a 1" kit with poly bushings? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: 1\" Body Lift

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were to install a 1" body lift, do I have to make any mod's or is it just bolt on stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Pro's And Con's please! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Also, where can I purchase a 1" kit with poly bushings? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]ORD makes a 1" body lift.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I had to trim my fan shroud and adjust the tranny linkage. No big deal at all.... now getting the rusted hardware out to install the lift... that was a @#$%^&!#@....

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ttt, i'm also thinking of doing the same thing and had the same questions. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

oh yeah... I got the poly bushings and 1" body lift from ORD. I've done a TON of bussiness w/ them.... highly recomended!

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my ord kit and poly bushings went in in about 45 minutes total... most of the time was spent setting up the air jacks and impact... cali truck with no rust helps.... didnt require any modifications whatsover... spent some time painting hidden things.....
    Steve at off road design has it all...
    cam

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Fan shroud and transmission linkage both require some adjustement.

When you do the lift remember the following, DO NOT use power tools on the bolts that go into the capture nuts. Before trying to remove the bolts that go into the capture nuts, use liberal amounts of PB Blaster or some type of penertating fluid and don't get in a hurry when trying to break these bolts free.

8. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

When I purchased the truck 6 months ago, the stock rubber body bushings were shot so I replaced them with stock height poly bushings. Now, i'm thinking of removing them and installing a 1" body lift to get just a little more tire clearance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thank you so much for the help all! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

What happens IF the captive nuts get messed up? I read somewhere to use impact tools to hit em hard and fast but I dunno.

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Crawl under you K5 and take a look at the location of the capture nuts. If you break one free, how you going to get to it? /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Thats what I figured.. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Fan shroud and transmission linkage both require some adjustement.

When you do the lift remember the following, DO NOT use power tools on the bolts that go into the capture nuts. Before trying to remove the bolts that go into the capture nuts, use liberal amounts of PB Blaster or some type of penertating fluid and don't get in a hurry when trying to break these bolts free.

[/ QUOTE ]
    All excellent advice...

If the captured nuts do strip or break, the only way I know of (and had to do in all four places on my cab mounts) is to cut three sides of a square over the area where the nut is (from inside the cab) and ream out the nut so you can run a bolt the opposite way down through the nut. Then, of course, put a nut on the end of your new bolt after threading it through you body mount and lift puck. Last, fold the cut piece of your floor back into place and weld or just paint the bare metal cut edges.

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I broke a nut loose under my driver's seat. Did the cut 3 sides on the square program and welded the nut back to the body. Then applied lots of lube and backed the bolt out. I've thought that if I had to do a truck I knew was going to be a BIG problem, I'd drill a small hole in the floor over the nut and stick the wand of a lube can in there and just hose the heck out of the nuts for a week or so. After the install, plug the hole with silicone and go on.

I've had the most trouble with the bolts at the back of the bed being frozen in the sleeve where they go through the body. I finally ended up welding a nut on the head of the carriage bolt and just twisting on it with lots of lube applied to get it broken loose.

Others are a no brainer, the bolts just come out like they're supposed to.

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, i'm thinking of removing them and installing a 1" body lift to get just a little more tire clearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're going to remove the body bushings and then add a body lift? How and why?

the body lift is bolted in " In additon too" the exisiting bushings.

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Hmmm, just noticed that statement.

Keep in mind, the body lift pucks go on top of your existing mounts, not instead of.