Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" body lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MyK-5, Sep 12, 2000.

1. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

1\" body lift

I am thinking of Putting a 1 inch body lift on it. I want to know if i need to cut the fan shroud or make any other modafications to any thing. Or Is it just a matter of taking out the bolts. Lifting the body, putting in the spacers. and putting the bolts back in.
    Thanks for any info.

Charley

81 Beater

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Re: 1\" body lift

I took some pictures of installing my Black Diamond 3" bodylift. They are on my web-page at link below.

You will run into several smal obsticals. Rust stuck bolts being the most time-consuming.(dont skimp with the rust loosner, and let it sit overnight) Then it comes to disconnecting the shifter-rod, lenghtening that(you may not need to), disconnecting the t-case shifter rod. removing the front bumper(while you lift, and to get at the two front bodymounts.) Removing the tailgate helper-spring assembly thats located at the bottom of the tailgate. (they "S" around a bolt holding your rear bumper on and will stretch and break if you lift without removing.) The radiator shroud will hit your fan because it goes upp with the body while the engine stays on the frame.Used a dremmel to quicly cut off the bottom half. Then your steering coulumn will need loosening so that it can move forwards while lifting. There are 4 bolts (on my 88) 2 at the firewall and 2 upp by the steeringwheel, under the litle panel. Shake and it's loose.Roll down tailgate window(might crack if you dont) Then use wood and blocks so that you get the lift high enough. First the springs decompress, then finaly the body starts to move. Insert block, drop in bolt or enter bolt. but dont tighten til you got them all in there. Leave a few of the old bolts in on opposit side to keep the body centered while you lift. Watch three things carefully as you lift. The brake lines running down from your brakefluid resorvar,the parking-brake cable, and your fuel lines. Crawl around and find out where these are located before you start so that you can check frequently. My brake lines from the resorvar just stretched out the spiral's a litle so they should be ok, but I lucked out because I was not aware of them.....so I could have broken them had I lifted more.... You should not have any such problems with only a 1 " lift.

Now you'l have a rear bumper that looks funny because there is a gap there. The front doesnt look bad at all, but you might want to fill the gap with some sheet metal.

Change the rubber while you have your bodymounts apart because you'l never do it again for a million years!!!

Need any more help please ask.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Re: 1\" body lift

With a 1" body lift, you won't run in to any problems, except those problems Espen mentioned about rusted bolts etc. No other modifications need to be done though. My truck has a 1" body lift I installed not too long ago. You can also check out my site for info on the install.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]