Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" Body lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntaj*ep, Nov 1, 2002.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

1\" Body lift

My body mounts are trash after 30+ years of use/abuse. So I was thinking of new poly or rubber mounts and maybe some 1" ORD alum. spacers. After all the bad things I've always said about body lifts, I can't belive I'm even concidering this. But I figure 1" is the max I will do! What do you all think, rubber or poly mounts? Do any of you run the 1" spacers? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

Re: 1\" Body lift

im thinking about only a 1 inch ORD lift to cause i dont wanna fool around with all the trouble that you can have with a 2 or higher like modifing linkage and all that sh!t! but for mounts..i would go with the poly..lot more durable than the rubber which can break and stuff and lasts a lot longer! seems ot be the way most people are going when they do this job too. mine need replacing but im just ganna reaplace the last two sets when the new floor/tailpan goes in the rest arent great but nothing im going to worry about...i prefer supension lifts anyway.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I run the ORD 1" body lift and it was a easy install. I like the height of the 1" the only thing I had to adjust was the shifter linkage for the tranny. Only prolbem I had installing the body lift was the 2 bolts at the rear underneath the gas tank. They were rusted in there and I had to use a air chisel to get them too come out /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I would recommend putting it on there especially if you are going to change out your body mount bushings, it is alot easier to do it all at once /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I would like to do it all at once, along with some other stuff. My concern is noise from the mounts. I used poly mounts on the trans. and t case and it firmed things up alot. But my worry is there going to squeek more than rubber.
    I think 2"+ body lifts need to much work as well to work right. The shifter on mine I don't think will be a problem as I use a cable style shifter. But any other issues, testomonies would be great.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm running the ORD 1" pucks with poly body mounts I like it a lot. As for putting it in I did it my self over a weekend I made sure I used a lot of PB Blaster, I had problems with the two back bolts in my case with my year I had to drop the tank and I broke the two straps that hold the tank ( make sure you hose these down with PB Blaster)
    I also had to get a new fuel tank filler hose I didn't like how it sat after the lift I also had to trim some of the fan shroud other than that I like how it rides and looks I haven't heard any squeeks from the body mounts

Eric

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK so who else is running either the mounts or pucks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just don't see the advantage of a 1" body lift. 1" isn't going to make alot of difference, so why not go 2 or 3 inchs ???

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

it can make a difference when you have tire rubbing problems or for a tad more clearence for tires..but alone no it wouldnt do much...

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I very well my not go with any lift at all. Just new body mounts. The reson I will not go any higher than 1" on a body lift is because I don't want the added levrage the taller spacers put on the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    The added clearance that 1" provides is my question to all that have this installed. SO................. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The reson I will not go any higher than 1" on a body lift is because I don't want the added levrage the taller spacers put on the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What added leverage? The pucks are the same size as the body mounts. I will agree that a 3" or larger body lift is going to throw off your center of gravity, but a 2" is not any different than a 1", other than being 1" taller.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, you have a 2" body lift I'm happy for you. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif So why if you don't understand my orignal question must I endour this ridicule? Please answer honestly! If you can answer the question at hand?

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to make you chance your mind. That is not my intention. You have your views and I have mine and I respect that, I was just voicing my opinion. Maybe I did it a little to abruptly. Anyways, I went with new poly mounts cause I've heard nothing but bad things about the replacement rubber ones(a lot of sway in the body)I have none with my poly mounts. Hope this helps.

13. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Did you use any lube on the mounts?
    How much did it firm up, compared to the worn rubber units?

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Did you use any lube on the mounts?

[/ QUOTE ]
    i used a little bit of bearing grease on the tops and bottoms of each mount and in the bolt hole.

How much did it firm up, compared to the worn rubber units?

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is hard to explain, it was a night and day difference for me, considering i was missing 6 complete mounts out of 14 on my burb.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well a 2" BL will put twice as much leverage on the body mounts as a 1" unless the diameter of the mounts and pucks gets larger.

That being said I have the 1" ORD BL with poly mounts on my truck andI've been very happy with it. I coated the poly mounts with graphite during assembly and haven't heard a body mount squeak yet. Previous to the poly mounts and ORD kit the truck was pretty sloppy, so I really noticed a huge improvement in 'feel' of the truck. It felt like it was more in control, more firm, tighter...pick your description./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Worth doing IMHO and I also hate body lifts. To say a 2" BL is "just another inch" is misleading. The 1" BL was enough to have to modify a few things like the fan shroud, filler neck needed extending and my caveman clutch needed adjusting too. One more inch and I would have had to modify a hell of a lot more.

What I do like is there is just a little more room above stuff which helps when you're working on it. Dropping the tank is much easier now because I can reach everything without having to partially lower it first.

My two cents.

Rene

16. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was in the same not liking body lift boat untill i went on a trip with The General. He has a 3" body and after wathching him bounce his truck around enough to rip the steering box off without any other problems i was sold. It allows me to run 40" tires on a 4" suspension lift. If you put in grade 8 bolts the extra stress has extra strengh. Plus you can do a couple things that i like. being able to run exhast, change spark plugs without popping the hood, and really clean the hell out of your underbody.

17. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My friend has a 4" susp lift and 3" body and he's ruuning 38's. I just don't like the idea of the taller body lift. The stock mounts are tall enough.
    I agree that a 1" body lift is OK, but I wouldn't want anything taller.

Please fix your bumpers if you get a 3" body lift.
    At leats my friend got a custom bumper welded up and it looks right.
    -- Mike

18. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

why fix a stock bumper????? i replaced my rear bumper but untill i get one for the front it is going to stay right where it is, what possible good could it do to raise it? if i hit something with it, its going to move so there is no clearence issue. moving it is just a waste of time and money, i would rather be under the truck shaving my 14 bolt or driving the truck instaed of moving the bumper so other people would like the truck, why would care about anyones opion of my truck but mine? just my .02

19. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OL14BLAZ,Highlander,Muddytazz, tRusty thanks for your .02 cents I think I will do the poly mounts, the lift I'm still unsure of. I have some Energy Suspension poly grease left over from my spring bushings. I was thinking of using that. tRusty, did the 1" pucks come with the mounting hardware? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Again thanks for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

One more thing, where did you guys source your mounts from. (company, place?) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif