Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 inch body lift = no park?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Oct 26, 2001.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

OK, i just finished welding this pos back together so now it is super solid and pretty much rust free. i put on a 1 inch body lift and now the tranny doesnt want to stay in park. it pops out of park quite violently, im guessing i have to lenghten the shift rod but i tought it wasent necessary on a small lift. do i have to adjust the steering column at all?

Craig

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You answered your own question. [​IMG] You have to lengthen the linkage to make up for the inch that you just increased the distance between the shifter and the tranny. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. For a 1" body lift, I wouldn't think you'd have to lengthen the shifting rod for the trans. I've always had to lengthen the rod for 3" body lifts. Did you adjust the shift rod after you put the body lift in. I always make sure to loosen the bolt on the shift rod before I put the body lift in so it doesn't bind up anything in the process. You might have to lenghten the rod a little bit if its not long enough? Set the park brake, loosen the bolt on the shift rod, push the lever on the shift shaft on the trans all the way to the park position, and have your shifter on the steering column in the park position, then retighten the bolt. That should get you close with maybe a little fine adjustment left to do.
    Later,
    Doug

4 wheelin's not a job, it's an adventure!

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Did you loosen the shift linkage rod retainer at the steering column before you inserted the body pucks? I had enough linkage rod left even with a 2" body lift. Usually with a 3" you need to lengthen the linkage rod, but a 1" should work with the stock one.
    Jt

5. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

when i jacked up the body i didnt loosen up anything in the column or shifter rod. it was jacked up pretty high to replace some of the floor pan hopefully i didnt bend anything.

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

All you need to do is loosen the linkage bolt and let the linkage slide out an inch, and then tighten the bolt. That's it, no need to lengthen it.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>