Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 inch body lift *searched*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jan 26, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i searched every phrase i could think of with little luck, so here goes.
    Besides just installing the pucks, what else is invalved with installing an ORD 1 inch body kit?

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Body lift

Hope your rig doen't have alot of rust, makes bolts hard to get out, change body rubber bushings while you are at it. When I put mine in it was a breeze but the tank was out, and most other stuff wasn't hooked up. With a 1-inch every thing should stretch the only things that are connected is fuel filler, and brake lines from master cylinder, shifter should be ok, vent tubes should be fine, not sure there is to much more to worry about. Just unbolt all the mounts and leave some in on the one side and use a floor jack and some wood on the other side and repeat for the other side. Don't get it to high or it will shift and don't stick your hand in where it can get smashed:)

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did your truck develop any of the "weird body lift noises" that people comment about or is the 1 inch ORD better.

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have been running my 1" for almost a year and haven't heard any noises from the body lift.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On my 91 the major things affected:
    - fan shroud - trim the bottom
    - tail gate lift spring - can be left attached but makes installing rear pucks difficult
    - shift linkage needs to be adjusted

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Had to trim the bottom of my shroud too.

No squeaks, but I coated the pucks, bushings and bolts with grphite impregnated grease when I did the BL 3 years ago. Haven't heard a squeak yet.

Rene

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sounds like a good solution. I thought about a 1" body lift, but many people complain about noises caused by it. Never thought about grease. I wonder if teflon pads, like on springs, would work also?

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My poly pucks were greased upon install many muddy/dusty/snowy miles ago - no squeaks!

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One Thing I noticed when I installed my ORD 1" body lift was the engine and transmission operating temperature went down by about 10 degrees. When this first happened I thought maybe I pulled the temp sending unit wire off when I lifted the body up to install the new body mounts and pucks, but when I checked it was fine. The only reason I can think of for this that the body lift created more air flow space between the body and the transmission and transfer case. I do not know if anybody else has experienced this phenomenon with body lifts.