Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 link -vs- Rad. arm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I'm kicking around the idea of linking the back of my 'Burb. As this will be my 1st time of building a suspention from scrach, I'm thinking of a 1 link w/ PH bar, or rad. arm w/PH bar. But I still have a few Q's on each one. With a 1 link, will the joint HAVE to be all the way up by the U-joint (@ the t-case) and if so will it even work with a slip jont out put? My plan would be to bolt it right to the stock spring perches, with it bolting on ubove the 'shaft @ the axle, should the pivot point be ubove or below the front U-joint? With the rad arm set up, do the arms have to be angled in at all? Or can they just run strait forword off the axle? And could they be bolted right to the spring pads too? Or do they HAVE to have bushing mounts @ the axle to have any articulation at all.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haven't really looked into the 1 link setups but just with some quick thought this is what i get. One of the advanatages of it is making a skidder for the driveshaft so you don't hit it off rocks. Mounting above the driveshaft ruins that advantage. Two, if you mount the 1 link below the driveshaft and it is not at the same pivot point as the driveshaft, the suspension will travel down and the driveshaft will hit the crossmember/pivot point of the 1 link.\

3. Geargrinder

That's what I was thinking about 2. So I would end up with 1 LONG link under there. But I'm not sure if that would be bad or not. I'm not concerned with weight (it's a 'Burb) but I'm not sure if the are any hidden down sides to that or not.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

5. Geargrinder

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking more and more that a rad. arm sys. is the way to go. Any one know wheter or not I can make the leading mounts on the outside of the frame? That would make the arms strait forward, no triangulation. Would that be a problem? I want to get rid of the leafe springs for 2 reasons: 1) I never want to feel axle wrap again, and I'm convinced that links are the only way to do that (long storie) 2) I want to get all the power/traction I can to the ground in back, not lost in the suspention some where.

6. d'cheat

d'cheat Registered Member

7. Geargrinder

Thanks for the link, that's a verry interesting desine. I think without crazzy flex involved, or in the rear that might work good.