Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" or 2" suspension lift? Newbie question time...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 13, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1\" or 2\" suspension lift? Newbie question time...

Has anyone put an add a leaf under the front factory spring pack? Thinking about doing this to my 89 Suburban. I want to put an add a leaf in the rear of it to gain a little ride height but also so I can gain some load handling. Don't want to have a higher rear than the front and like the idea of a long add a leaf up front rather than a zero rate. Was even thinking maybe I could get a stock spring pack and use one of the 2 front leaves, cut down a bit and add it to the stock pack. Alright I've decided not to put 4" lift springs on my Suburban. I have the springs already but the burb is a DD/tow rig. I started really thinking and realized that anything I do to that truck is only going to increase the towing ability(14 bolt ff, 4.10 gears, new motor) but then I'd put on a 4" lift and 35s and only hurt the towing ability.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Re: 1\" or 2\" suspension lift? Newbie question time...

I had adda leaves in the front of my blazer when I bought it, it rode pretty stiff but it had a little lift with them on.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any other experiences? thinking I may just put on a 1" body lift, cut to clear 33s and fabricate an airbag overload setup for the rear.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I did it. Gave me about 2.5" of lift and was cheap and worked well until I bought 4" springs. Traded it off to a friend, he put it in his truck, and he's still driving it with that and 33s. Worked out great.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why not do a all spring 2.5", 3", or even 4" Suspension lift and 33's. Shouldn't hurt towing, and would look pretty nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't trust aftermarket rear springs to carry the same load capacity. Never seen load rating numbers on them. And I would rather go cheap if it works just fine you know? Also its kind of a lesson in self control. My plan was 4" lift and 35s and I was always thinking of other things to do. Its my damn DD/Tow Rig, I need to learn some control.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif[ QUOTE ]
    Its my damn DD/Tow Rig, I need to learn some control.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I know the fealing!! I have a 4" lift sitting in the garage, waiting for a truck to put it under! My 89, which was my driver is going to the wife in the spring(after new paint). 1" body lift, 33's.

I REALLY wanted to put the lift under it, but self control has prevailed(so far) My blue 76 had 1" body lift and add-a-leaf front, 2" blocks rear. with 33's. just perfect for a daily driver. The add a leaf made it ride a little stiffer. I would have put new 2" springs, if I had the money. It wasn't unbearable stiff though. rode about the same as my 3/4 ton PU. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

What about Hi Jacker shocks. Only $50 a pair at AutoZone and they are good for 2" I think.

-Chris