Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 out of 8 plugs is fouled out??? engine problem.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Mar 12, 2002.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

O.K. thought it was a rod knock, but after i replaced the fouled out Delco plug with a Champion Platinum, the truck runs nice! I've put about 20 bhighway miles on it today and it seems fine. It looks wet and black (the plug that is) when I pull it, but like I said, it runs fine for now, no knocking or anything. I'm guessing that somewhere down the road, I'll be right where I was before when it is comletely fouled out(knocking and running rough). I did a complete comperssion test and every thing was normal. I tried an old plug wire that looked fine and ran it for about 5 minutes on that plug, but it was still black and wet. So if the wire is good, the plug is good, and the compression is good, What else could it be? I'm trying to get it ready for a 500 mile trip to Canada this week.. Please help!!! Thanks.

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Do the other basics. Cap, rotor, timing.
    Might be time to take a good look at the carb. and choke.(sorry, I forgot to check what you have in your truck).

3. sagechicken

sagechicken Registered Member

I recently had a similiar problem. The secondary's on my Q-jet were sticking open just a little allow to much fuel down the intake. For some reason it only fouled a couple plugs.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If your carb is dripping gas into the intake for any reason, it will often foul one or two plugs. Most common reason is a Q-Jet that is leaking from the plugs in the bottom of the fuel bowls. What happens is the fuel just drips into the intake, and runs down into the cylinders that are the path of least resistance. This is because the fuel is not atomized, it is just dripping straight down.