Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 peice oil pan gasket- do they exist

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue Meanie, May 22, 2002.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

i have an 87 1/2 ton with a 305TBI set up in it. i just swapped in a 350 from a wrecked 84 sub. during the swap i dented the oil pan on the 350 so i thought that i would swap it from the 305. during the process i found out that the 350 is a 4 bolt (oh yeah) and i also found out that the end caps are different on both engines. on the 305 i used a 1 peice rubber gasket and loved it. when i replaced the gasket on the 350, it was 4 peices and it is leaking now. my question is, is there a company that anyone knows about that makes a 1 peice rubber gasket for the 84 350??? any help would be great. please help!!! this weekend is the best wheeling weekend in NJ and i don't want to be down because of an oil leak.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I think Feldpro makes one. Auto Zone here in Atl will order any Feldpro made. They have a masive applications book and should have a part number if it's made. Try them if they are in your area. Just stay away from the zit faced punk counter boy driving the honda and find the older guy or one of the managers and they will know how to use "Treeware data storage media" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Onthe 4 peice I have had good luck. the key is to RTVing the ends of the peices that go over the crank. Don't over tighten the bolts....just snug and make sure the surfaces are absoulutely oil free and clean. Brake cleaner on a paper towel does the trick.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The one I got was made by Moroso. Top quality IMHO. Steel inserts in the bolt holes and all new hardware included. It was the the easiest pan gasket I've ever had to do and does not leak a drop. Well worth the money.

Rene

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Where did you get that one Rene' ? Is it a reusable? I think I will have to do a timming chain in mine soon. Like to give that one a try. Sounds deluxe /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, 've seen the "Feldpro", haven't seen the Moroso. How much $$?

I assume yours is for 2 piece main seal, right Rene?

6. tRustyK5

I picked it up at a local speed shop here. I can't see why it wouldn't be re-usable. It was for the two piece rear main sbc and cost me $40 CDN (roughly $25 USD)

I fought through two regular pan gasket sets and could not get the pan to seal. Maybe I was all thumbs that day but the gaskets kept slipping, falling and squirming out from where they were supposed to be. Maybe upside down on an engine stand they're OK, but I had nothing but trouble trying to make it work. The one piece goes on so easy you wonder why anyone ever bothers with the 4 piece deal.

Rene

7. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

on that moroso gasket... does yours have the cut outs for the left and right side dip stick?? when i got the 4 peice crap, i had the engine on a stand, upside down and clean. i used rtv on both sides just to be sure that the damn thing didn't leak and now that the motor has been in for 3 days, it decides that it wants to pee on the drive way. can anything go right??? hahaha thanks for the info!! i am going to look up moroso now. i will let you know how things turn out.

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If the Moroso one was bright baby blue, I would say its a Fel-Pro sold by Moroso, I had one of the one peice ones but took it back ( regret it, gonna re order it now) it was bright blue, had the steel inserts to keep you from overtightning it, was reusable, and even came with some neat little plugs to instert through the pan and into the bolt holes to temp. hold it in place untill you got the rest of the bolts started.

Depdog

9. tRustyK5

Yes, I forgot to mention that. There is a provision for left or right dipstick location.

Rene

10. tRustyK5

Mine was black...prolly made by Fel-pro or something for Moroso though. No matter who makes it, they are a great idea!

Rene