Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 piece or 2 piece rear drive shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrider_44s, Apr 8, 2005.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

well we come apon another time in my trucks life to get drive shafts made this is the third set :crazy: well what do you guys think
    i now have a fixed yoke 205 so i need a slip yoke in the drive shaft
    the one piece would be the easiest one to put in and also the cheaper one

but the 2 piece would give me a little more clearance maby better angles but would i need to put a slip yoke in both pieces also i would have more things to break
    well lets hear it what do you think :D

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

.... :confused:

Are you asking if you should convert from a fixed yoke to a slip yoke setup?? If so, no way.

3. highrider_44s

no i was wanting to know if it's worth putting in a two piece drive shaft (one with 3 u-joints and two shafts and a steady bearing with either one slip yolks on the bottom shaft or one on both shafts)
    or just the usual straight one with two U-joints and a slip yolk

but yea i defanatly want to keep the fixed yolk

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

OOOOOH you mean you whether you should run a carrier bearing or just a driveshaft. your initial post confused the heck out of me. Thats a tough one. What is your rig? If its just a long bed I'd just run a single shaft. You will get better angularity(all be it less break over) but less things to go wrong.

5. highrider_44s

sorry about the original post i read it again and i confused me too :confused: i dont know what i was thinking there

yea i got a fulsize truck long box with 10" lift and i'm putting a doubler in it.I had a single shaft in there before (without the doubler)and i had no problems with it. There have been a few people telling me i should have that carier bearing in there but the only good thing i can see with it is there be more clearence under the truck. To make it work i'd have to make bracket to hang the bearing off of and I'm not sure if i need a slip yolk in both sides or just on one side. Another thing is there would be three u-joints to break as well as the bearing going through the mud and such. Just seems the old singal shaft would be easier but maby easier might not be better???

Dan

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, I don't see a reason for a carrier bearing. Maybe if you were a crew cab. My Burb has a slip yoke with a single shaft just like all the burbs I've seen running around, works very well. I wouldn't complicate things if you don't have to. Puting a doubler in will add a little length(help breakover) I'd definetally stick with the old single shaft setup. Of course you and I are the only ones talking here, maybe someone has a reason for something else.

7. highrider_44s

yea i think i'm leaning towards the sigle shaft again.
    thanks sled_dog

does anyone else have a opinion?