Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

#1 Plug wire

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Oct 13, 2000.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Can anyone tell me how to change the location of #1 on the Distributor cap. I put on HEI but to time it right I need to rotate more, But the vacum hits on the intake. I hear there is a way to change the location of #1 on the cap.

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Sounds like you're a tooth off. Take the dist. out and rotate the oil pump drive with a long screwdriver just enough so you can rotate the the rotor 1 tooth on the cam. Then rotate the wires on the cap.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

3. bart

bart Registered Member

yep. you are 1 tooth off on the dist drive gear to the camshaft...to give you more Advance, pull the distributor out and rotate the shaft clockwise 1 tooth, to retard, go counterclockwise one tooth. you might have to turn the oil pump shaft a little to make it engage with the distributor shaft.
    From what you wrote, it sounds like you need to go back one tooth (retard) as I assume you would be turning the cap clockwise to retard the timing, and the vac advance is hitting the firewall.

Bart

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Agree with Shawn that the distributer is off a little bit. The best and right way would be to pull the distributer and put it in right. If you don't want to pull the distributer you can move the entire firing order forward or back one position on the distributer cap. You can only do this if it's possible to line up the rotor cap with the #1 plug wire on the distributer cap by turning the distributer (after you move the wires and with the #1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke). Keep in mind that if you have a cap with cylinder numbers it will make them useless in the future. It might not bother you since you'll know about change but it can cause a little extra time for another mechanic down the road.

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I did like shawn suggested. It worked great. Power has been renewed. I rotated the oil pump shaft clockwise and moved #1 to the third postion clockwise from battery hookup. Made it work well for the wires. I took apart the old points distributor and used the shaft to turn the oil pump shaft since I dont have a long enough screwdriver. Now it sounds like I toasted the bendix gear on the starter. So I guess that will be done tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies.