Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" Pucks and Zero Rates

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swamp donkey, Nov 14, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

1\" Pucks and Zero Rates

While building my truck I made a couple bad desicions. One of those was to to try and squeeze 35/12.50 tires, on 10" rims under a 4" lift (another was my choice of tire - Thornbirds).
    When you add in the the width of the tire, plus those little side nobbies, I rub front and rear. And thats just in a litte back ally durbing. So I am left with a couple choices.
    1) Lose the rim tire combo and run 8" rims - too expensive.
    2) Cut the fenders, front and rear. I wouldn't mind cutting the front, worst case I could always but new fenders. But in the rear I just don't want to cut the bed of my 69.
    3) More lift. Well, I want to keep my center of gravity down but this seems like my only chance for now. For about $150 I orderd 1" body lift pucks and 1" zero rates.

Now for the questions. Anyone have any advice on the install? I know I have seen stuff on here, but it seems pretty simple. I already did my body mounts, so I know how that whole thing goes, but what about the zero rates?

I'm sure there is plenty of info on the list about both, but if ya'll can think of anything don't be shy about letting me know.

Thanks, Dylan

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Re: 1\" Pucks and Zero Rates

Do they hit front and back on the back tires too? I know on my 72 the axle is way forward in the wheel well and it looks like using the zero rates to push it back an inch would help alot on mine, could that help you on the back?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Where is it hitting?
    Let me guess:
    Front of the front and rear wheel openings?
    If so I'd put zero rates front and rear. Move the rear axle back at least 1" and he front should be fine but you might try forward 1". Then you shouldn't have to trim the rear and will only have to trim the front "fang" off the front of the fender (you know the place all those sockets you are missing are...I found some tools the previous owner lost when I cut mine).

My 33's rubbed in the rear with a 4" lift. The axle is just not centered from the factory.

If you had 12.5" wide tires it would be alot easier to fit them then the Interco's.

4. swamp donkey

You guessed it. I am ready to whack off the "fangs", and hope that moving the rear back, plus the added 2" (1" block, 1" body) will clear things right up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking of doing this very thing. Only I want room for 37s. I think moving the axles with the 0 rates is a great idea.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

A friend has a 4" lift and is thinking of going to 35s, whacking off the fangs, and using 1" zero-rates. He doesn't think they'll hit even without the body lift. Of course, he hasn't tried it either... <evil grin>

7. swamp donkey

Well I cut the "fangs", but have yet to have time to do the zero rates or 1". When I looked at the rear springs it appears that there is already an add-a-leaf in there. I will take it out and put in the zero rate, I won't gain any hieght, but I will relocate the axle and hopefully soften things up a bit.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dylan,

The 1" body lift is a good idea....not enough to cause hassles with steering shafts, brakelines, etc. but probably enough to get you that "little extra" you need for tire clearance.

Also, remember that MOST of your weight (and hence center of gravity) is located in the frame and driveline. The position of THOSE items doesn't change with a body lift.

I've got a 2" body lift on mine with 4" springs and ran 35's quite successfully. Now I'm at 38's with that same lift....things are a lot more complicated for me now! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif