Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 question, 1 concern /w pic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Sep 4, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

First concern and most important. I did a quick crude measurement and I am not certain my big block will clear the large whatever that is attached to the master cylinder. Can anyone a) tell me what that is for sure and b) if you've had grief from it while swapping in a BBC.

Question is WTH is that ball at the top right of the picture? It's right behind the jack holder and is attached to whatever the heck that thing is that has the yellow jacket nest on it that sits directly above the back of the motor.

This is from a 88 K5 that engine wise was bone stock with TBI and all the emissions crap.

Thanks all.

100_0440 (Medium).jpg

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the brake boster (I can't see the pic)

It uses vac to give you power brakes.

They come out fairly easy. 4 bolts and disconnect from the brake pedal. Brake lines are flexable enough so you don't have to disconnect them.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As said, it's the brake booster... a small body lift will help eliminate this issue... standard height valve covers "should" fit... I've seen guys put a small dent in the back corner of em to get em to fit...

ya don't wanna ditch the booster unless you go hydro....

and thats your vacuum canister....

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I put a 454 in my old Blazer and it fit fine with standard height valve covers.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the canister behind the jack is for cruise control.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

But it is a vacuum canister correct?

7. SkysTheLimit

the valve covers on the BB i doubt are standard height. Nothing on that motor is standard. :D

I'll have to detach the booster and see how much clearance I have once the motor is in. I may take ryoken's advice and bump the body up maybe a inch.

How much of a chore is it to go hyrdo? I've never looked into it.

Cruise control, eh? I never even thought about that. I guess that's a feature I'm probably going to loose. Not that it's been engaged in the last 4 or 5 years but it did work last time I tried it.

Thanks guys.

8. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

if you can find a hydroboost setup i would go w/ that... the braking is phenominal!!! you wont regret it... and you can put john force ginormous tall valve covers on then...

9. SkysTheLimit

Does it end?

what i thought would be a straight forward fairly simple engine swap has turned into a friggin complete build.

you add to one part of the equation i guess you have balance it out. more power means built tranny. that moves the weak link to the axles. need axles now. swapping out axles means new rims. now i gotta figure out how to clear these valve covers / heads with the brakes. hopefully a 1 or 2" body lift will be all i need. otherwise i have start scouring the boards and yards for a hydro brake setup.

all this and I don't even rock crawl. i just wanna play rough in the dirt & mud! :)

on the plus side, a little body lift will help me clear some bigger tires...

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean. I am swapping a BBC into my '90 K5 and my truck looks identical to yours under the hood. I'm hoping my BBC will go in without any complications. Throughout this build I can honestly say there have been many times when I thought I should have just built a 383. Hopefully this 468ci will be so bad a$$ when it's done that it will be totally worth it.

11. SkysTheLimit

This weekend hopefully my dad is coming over with the crane again and we're going to attempt to at least get mounted it up. I'll post up my progress and any snags I run into so you'll know what to expect.

I figured there wouldn't be a problem since the 454 was a factory option in the family. i was concerned only about hood clearance since i have a high rise intake and will be putting a gigantic air cleaner on it. this brake crap blindsided me.

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Well fortunately my BBC is a Gen V 454 and everything on the outside of the engine will be pretty much stock except headers, and the MPFI. Hopefully, since this is the same vintage engine (my K5 is a '90) I won't have too much trouble. My engine is at the machine shop now so it will be at least another month or so before I get it in.

13. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hydro is an easy swap. i snagged a steering box today at a local pick and pull and they had several trucks there with hydro, just get all the parts, you wont regret it. braking power is great!!