Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" TBI Spacers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dksac2, Aug 6, 2004.

1. dksac2

dksac2 Registered Member

1\" TBI Spacers

I added one of the 1" spacers under my TB, it helped the power a little. I modified it by milling out about a 1 inch wide slot between the two bores of the spacer about one half of the thickness. I then filed a 45 degree angle on the milled out portion. Really felt a good improvement in power. The manifold can now draw from both sides of the TB. A good cheap mod. The soup bowl adapter that replaces the stock ring adapter between the top of the tbi and the air cleaner is also worth looking into. A recent test in Car Craft showed it was good for 10 hp and 10 ft lbs of torque to the rear wheels on a stock 350. At $43.95, it's cheap horse power.
    John K
    www.savagegunsmithing.com

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: 1\" TBI Spacers

please tell me this isn't another person who there first post is an advertisement? I have a 1" spacer and did the samething, milled out the middle between the 2 bores then cleaned it all up... didn't notice a damn thing on the seat of the pants dyno.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Ok, I'll bite... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Dksac2, do you know where to get one of these adapters? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you asked. I happen to run a gunsmithing shop and have access to the tools needed to do this. Just send me your spacer and I can modify it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. spearchucker

But wait, that's not all, there's more! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    With the purchase of this modification you will also get a Tornado. Not for $29.95, not for 19.95, but for free. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. nvrenuf

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my poweraid spacer I just put in is getting me an honest 2/10's of a mile per gallon better on my 1989 gen 2 v3500 crewcab 454 tbi.... and it seems a little peppier midrange...
    I liked the no hassle lifetime warranty... so I wouldnt mess with milling it... Im not convinced their engineers havent figured out the best way and I could do better
    And we CK5'ers are naturally suspicious of a NEWBIE FIRST TIME POSTER....
    so NEWBIE... wanna join? costs 25 bucks....

8. dksac2

dksac2 Registered Member

Boy, tough crowd. No I'm not trying to get anyone to send me a spacer. I do have a gunsmithing business and put the web address at the bottom of every board that I do posts on. I only just discovered this board. I have a 90 Blazer and an 84 Blazer and love both of them. I put the spacer on my 90 and noticed a little improvement. Milling the spacer as I described, made a difference that I could feel. My 350 is an aftermarket 330 hp with non Vortec heads, headers, chipped, duels, MSD etc. To say that it does not get enough air would be an understatement. I got the idea from www.cfm-tec.com. I only wanted to share what I had found with people I thought would put the info to good use. I was a little suprised to get flamed as I did /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. There is a good write up on the spacer with the cut on the cfm web site. It's about $90.00. I know there are a lot of do it yourselfers out there. Only wanted to share info and save someone who wanted to try it a few bucks.
    Best regards, John K

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

From my experience. The open plentum spacers like you made are really the only ones that do work. The basic two hole ones are worthless. They dont do much but change your torque curve so you get a little better throttle responce.
    If you combine a open plentium spacer with an injector spacer also it will also make a nice improvement in power. This will add more air flow.
    Getting rid of the stock air cleaner spacer which is very restrictive and replacing it with a velocity stack is another good power adder for TBI. CFM Tec and Turbo city both sell these parts. These products work when combined with a good exhaust. I have used them on many TBI trucks improving both power and MPG.

BTW Wecome to CK5!
    Acually most of us are pretty friendly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

oops... I forgot to welcome you to the board as well...
    my humble apology...
    you will find everyone here very friendly,,
    and this site very helpful if you build or tweak k trucks
    thanks for posting the link but i was UNABLE to get it to open... its always helpful to have background info. I did a web search and found them but alas their products dont list carb approval so are not legal in SMOG nazi Kalifornia... although i do see you probably wouldt get caught on anything you left looking factory stock..
    cam

11. nvrenuf

My apologies and WELCOME to the board!

Occasionally we get vendors posing as new users trying to pimp their goods without paying for the advertising, just makes us a little skeptical at times. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Again, welcome and enjoy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the board /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. Sorry you got flamed put there are alot of first post trying to sell on here. I also did something simiular to that with mine, it does work better than just two hole design. Here is the link www.cfm-tech.com lots of info.

Jay

13. dksac2

dksac2 Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome,and sorry about the bad link. I should not post at 3AM.
    I have the fuel injector spacer and the soup bowl on mine already, and as stated, they have helped. I have a pair of 12 bolt axles with 3.73 gears that will go in shortly. It now has the 10 bolt with 3.07 or 08 gears. It just doesn't like the tall tires with the present set up. With the SM tranny, 3rd gear is a really long gear if you know what I mean. A larger TB and preformer tbi intake are next.

I'd like some opinions on TB's. Which is better, the Holly 670 or a bored out stock TBI unit with higher flow injectors?

I do understand you possibly thinking that I was trying to get free advertising. I am a staff member on a gunsmithing board www.gun-talk.com and we are on the look out for the same type of posts. If any of you are shooters, I invite you to give us a look, smaller board, good people.
    I very much love the Blazers and am here because of my interest in them. Do I hope that someone with a Savage rifle see's my web site, sure, but that is not the reason I posted here. I do not sign up on web sites just to get people to look at my web site. The only sites I post on are gun, 4 WD and racing boards(my kid runs a super stock on 3/8 mile dirt tracks).
    I will lay down the 25 bucks shortly to join K-5. I'm just a little broke now. I just got a set of Hooker headers, tubing and some Dyno Max mufflers to replace my present system. It now has the Headman headers that have the collectors pointing downward, which as you know requires on heck of a bend to get the pipes over the crossmember. The Hookers look like they will work great.
    Once I get the 90 done ( I know, their never done, I have a 350 Vortec short block with only 6K miles for it sitting in the shop ) I will start in on the 84 Blazer. I got a good deal on it. Very stright, very little rust and 100% stock. Paid $1100.00 for it. It has a 305, 700R4 and a slight wrist pin or rod knock, so a 350 rebuilder has been aquired for it. So many projects, so little money.

I'm sure you could get away with milling an approved spacer in Kalifornia and not get caught. I moved from Kali to Idaho about 6 years ago. Sure is nice having no smog inspections. You people in Kali, I feel your pain.

Lastly, just to show my heart is in the right place, if anyone wants their spacer milled, I'd be happy to do it for free. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    Only takes a few minutes. I'll make the cut between the two bores, you can file the 45 degree angles. If interested just let me know. A few bucks for return shipping would be all that I would ask. I hope that I don't get 100 requests all at once, but I'd be happy to help out.
    Again, great board, glad I found it
    Best regards, John K

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhh.... you have a set of 12 bolts for that ride? 12 bolt front axle doesn't exist. Its a myth told to newbies thats been taken as fact. A running joke really.

15. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Could you post a pic of it?

16. dksac2

dksac2 Registered Member

It's already on the engine. Go to www.cfm-tech and look at theirs. I did mine just like the picture on their site.
    John K

17. dksac2

dksac2 Registered Member

Your right about the front not being a 12 bolt. I got the axles out of a 79 3/4 ton. I have not picked up the front axle yet, only the rear, which is a 12 bolt. Is the front axle heavier duty than the 1/2 ton? As my listing says-Newby, I know a lot, but not everything.
    John K

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Well if it was a 3/4 ton donor truck, then that rear axle should be a 14b. No real strength differences in the front axle.

As for the Hooker headers....I just finished installing a set today. I have a '90 'Burb and I used part #2453. The fit was excellent /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif The collecters exit in very friendly locations too. I installed a dual exhaust, and was able to get both sides over the crossmember easily. No interference with shackle bolts or anything.

Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. spearchucker

Welcome aboard and please accept my apologies too. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    It was just your first post, no profile and sounding like you were trying to pimp some business. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Lastly, just to show my heart is in the right place, if anyone wants their spacer milled, I'd be happy to do it for free.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'm sure someone will take you up on that offer.